× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Project: print something via my R6250 USB port while R6250 is connected Wirelessly to new isp router

Rene1973
Tutor

Project: print something via my R6250 USB port while R6250 is connected Wirelessly to new isp router

Hello there !

i have a little project: basically i would like to give my trusty old Lazer printer some WIFI connectivity.

Here's a splanation:

i want to use my Netgear R6250's WIFI and USB port to connect my printer, then i have to connect the R6250 to my new modem/router (new isp) but i cannot use an ethernet cable to connect the 2 routers

So this has to be done via WIFI

I thought maybe using the R6250 as an extender, repeater or Access Point to link the 2 routers. it would also give better WIFI coverage and use its USB port.

The new router/modem is a CODA-4680-FIZ (2A)

Firmware v7.2.4.5.2b8 

WIFI: 802.11 a/n/ac, 2.4/5Ghz

My router is a Netgear R6250

Firmware V1.0.4.48_10.1.30

WIFI: 802.11 a/n/ac, 2.4/5Ghz

The printer is an old Brother HL-2040 with usb and no wifi.

How would i do that ?

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Project: print something via my R6250 USB port while R6250 is connected Wirelessly to new isp ro

The R6250 doesn't have a repeater/extender mode. 

Your only option to hit all the points you want would be AP mode which would require it to be hardwired in. 

If you set it up in bridge mode, it wouldn't repeat its signal and would just use the wireless for router---router communication. 

Message 2 of 4
Rene1973
Tutor

Re: Project: print something via my R6250 USB port while R6250 is connected Wirelessly to new isp ro

thanks for your answer Plemans!

ok, so bridge mode it is !

is there a tutorial to accomplish this ?

Message 3 of 4

@Rene1973 wrote:

thanks for your answer Plemans!

ok, so bridge mode it is !

is there a tutorial to accomplish this ?

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Set up the Router in Bridge Mode

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7