× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6080 disable wifi on a schedule

dagnabitboy
Aspirant

R6080 disable wifi on a schedule

Just installed R6080 AC1000.  I cannot get the WIFI scheduler to work, there are a number of bugs:

1.  When I set the time to 00:00 to 16:00, select it, and click apply it shuts off the wifi, but the wifi never turns back on.  I have to turn it back on manually.  That makes the function useless.

2.  The next day, it did not turn off automatically.

3.  I cannot delete the schedule I've created.  I select the schedule and click delete.  NOTHING happens.

Note:  I upgraded to the latest firmware as of 9/3/22.

What am I missing?  I hope someone can help!!

Thanks, Phil

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
dagnabitboy
Aspirant

Re: R6080 disable wifi on a schedule

My Spectrum service and modem are good for 300Mbs.  Getting 89 with this router!  Ugh!!  I think I will solve my current problems by returning this hunk of junk.  I think Netgear simply dusted off an old design with old chips to sell to the low end of the market, and possibly get rid of old chip inventory.  It's also disappointing they ship what appears to be an unfinished/ un-debugged design!!  I do have the spectrum router that works, so I'll go back to that for the time being, but they do not allow users to change settings or disable 5G wifi or anything like that, which was my reason for finding a router I can control.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!  I'll mark this as solved!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies

@dagnabitboy wrote:

Just installed R6080 AC1000.  I cannot get the WIFI scheduler to work, there are a number of bugs:

Where are you doing this? In Set Up a WiFi Schedule?

Note:  I upgraded to the latest firmware as of 9/3/22.

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

By the way, don't expect much from this router. According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

Message 2 of 10
dagnabitboy
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!  My firmware is V1.0.0.54.  The router is connected to a Spectrum modem, model Hitron 2251.  Yes, I'm trying to setup the schedule under "advanced wireless settings".  Pic attached.  If I select the schedule with the radio button and check "turn off wireless signal by schedule" it turns off the wifi.  Also, when I try to edit or delete the schedule I cannot.  The buttons do nothing.  All of the other functions in other menus appear to work OK.

I'm using Firefox to access the router.  I tried Bing, but Bing is so dysfunctional it won't let me type "192.186.1.1" as a URL.  It just does a search with results telling me to type that number in the URL.  SMH!

Also, thanks for the heads up of the wifi speeds.  That will definitely be an issue for network operations.

Phil

Screenshot 2022-09-05 at 10-15-13 NETGEAR Router R6080.png

Message 3 of 10

@dagnabitboy wrote:

My firmware is V1.0.0.54.  The router is connected to a Spectrum modem, model Hitron 2251. 

Simple modem and the newest firmware. So no issues on that front.

One thing you could try is to avoid 00:00 as the time. This can cause problems with "clocks" that are supposed to roll over midnight. Use 00:01 instead. Also, use 23:59 for any "off" switch.

Also, thanks for the heads up of the wifi speeds.  That will definitely be an issue for network operations.

That warning wasn't about wifi speeds. The router's 100 Mbps speed limit is the wired speed. The LAN port in your modem will be 1000 Mbps. So even if it connects to your internet service at anything faster than 100 Mbps, which is pretty common for cable Internet, your router can't use that speed.

Message 4 of 10
dagnabitboy
Aspirant

Thanks, I just realized that about the speed.  I did a speed test...  pretty bad!! 

Phil

Message 5 of 10

@dagnabitboy wrote:

Thanks, I just realized that about the speed.  I did a speed test...  pretty bad!! 

Phil

How fast is the internet service you pay for?

If this is a new router, you might benefit from buying something a bot more capable.

I am amazed that Netgear made something that slow in 2017. 1000 BASE-T has been the standard for a decade or more.

Message 6 of 10
dagnabitboy
Aspirant

My Spectrum service and modem are good for 300Mbs.  Getting 89 with this router!  Ugh!!  I think I will solve my current problems by returning this hunk of junk.  I think Netgear simply dusted off an old design with old chips to sell to the low end of the market, and possibly get rid of old chip inventory.  It's also disappointing they ship what appears to be an unfinished/ un-debugged design!!  I do have the spectrum router that works, so I'll go back to that for the time being, but they do not allow users to change settings or disable 5G wifi or anything like that, which was my reason for finding a router I can control.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!  I'll mark this as solved!

Message 7 of 10

@dagnabitboy wrote:

My Spectrum service and modem are good for 300Mbs.  Getting 89 with this router!  Ugh!!  I think I will solve my current problems by returning this hunk of junk. 

Definitely. The R6080 is a handful dinosaurs.

Netgear routers with model numbers R60XX and R61XX seem to be "Fast Internet". (For "fast" read "slow".) Gigabit Ethernet kicks in when you get to R62XX.

One problem is that people see things like  "WiFi—300+867 Mbps speeds" on boxes and assume that the router will work at that speed. It won't even achieve that for the wifi.

Message 8 of 10
dagnabitboy
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help... and candor!!  Router has been returned!  I will take a look at the model you suggest.  Dang, I may have to spend some money!!  LOL!

Phil

Message 9 of 10

I wouldn't recommend any particular model without knowing what you want to achieve, what your traffic is and who uses it.

There are dozens of different models from Netgear alone. I have tried just a handful.

I don't believe in spending money for the sake of it. So I check what I want against the kit on offer.

My main router, the R7800, is ancient. But it is robust and is still favoured by experienced users who don't want bells and whistles.

I advise people to plug their your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Also think "budget". What do you want to spend? I am a great believer in buying last year's model. Things that brands and retailers want to shift. Think bargain, but not cheap.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7