× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6100 router

JackVR
Tutor

R6100 router

My r6100 router is dropping my internet connection a few times per week. My internet provider indicates that my router is the issue. The recommendation is to clear the cache on the router. I’m not overly savvy when it comes to these issues. Will this potentially fix the issue? If so, how do I do this without causing other problems. Note that the router is 8 years old or so. Any input would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JackVR
Tutor

Re: R6100 router

Thanks for the reply. Guess it’s time to upgrade.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What actually happens? Thats key. 

Saying it doesn't work doesn't tell us much. 

What happens with wireless devices (don't say "they don't work)?

And wired devices? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What firmware is on the router? 

What fixes the issues. 

Details are key. We need good descriptions of the problem and what your setup is to help

Message 2 of 6
JackVR
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. My R6100 router is connected to a modem supplied by Spectrum. My internet connection is lost at random times once or twice a week. All my wireless devices, iPhone, iPads, smart tv, Blink camera etc indicate “unable to connect to the internet” when the connection is lost. The fix is to reboot both the modem and the router at the same time. Per the genie app, I am up to date with firmware version v1.0.1.22. Per Spectrum, there are no issues on their end. My router is 8+ years old. My question is if clearing my router’s cache(?) will potentially fix the issue?

Thank you for your time.

Jack

Message 3 of 6
microchip8
Master

There is no router cache. Best thing you can do is doing a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch - push the reset button at back for 10 seconds then release. This is especially recommended if you've done multiple firmware upgrades in the past but kept your settings.

Also do note that the R6100 only has 100 Mbps LAN ports. If you upgrade your connnection to more than 100 Mbps, you'll hit a bottleneck. I recommend upgrading your router to a more recent one, like the RAX models.
Message 4 of 6
JackVR
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. Guess it’s time to upgrade.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not a bad idea since that is a pretty low performing router. 

But it might not fix your issue if its not related to the router. 

So just something to watch for that if the next router has issues, its not because of the router. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7