× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6120 Firmware Problem

bhibner
Tutor

R6120 Firmware Problem

How do I update my firmware without wireless internet? My firmware was updating when my router lost power. Now I can't access the interent to complete the firmware installation and the power light is continuously blinking. Can I hook my router up to my laptop that's connected to another network and do it that way? Thanks for any help!

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
bhibner
Tutor

I've tried to download the firmware file from the Netgear website but keeping get a "the disc image file is corrupted" message when I try to open it.

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

did you extract it? 

You don't actually "open" it to upload it. 

You extract it once downloaded and then log into the router and follow the manual install process. 

How do I manually update the firmware on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 9
bhibner
Tutor

When I click extract, it takes the files to a folder and the only available files are the release notes and a disc image file. Am I doing something wrong?
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

nope. the disc image file is the one that gets uploaded. follow the manual update process that I linked to now. 

Message 5 of 9

@plemans wrote:

nope. the disc image file is the one that gets uploaded. follow the manual update process that I linked to now. 

It isn't actually a " disc image file". Just something with the same extension.

Just to make life entertaining, for some devices Netgear provides firmware as .chk files

Message 6 of 9

@bhibner wrote:

My firmware was updating when my router lost power. Now I can't access the interent to complete the firmware installation and the power light is continuously blinking.

This smells more serious than you might think.

The blinking is a sign of corrupt firmware.

@bhibner wrote:

Can I hook my router up to my laptop that's connected to another network and do it that way?

Not really. Try it and see how far you get. If the standard manual update does not work, start with this:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If that fails you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to enable TFTP on a Windows PC.

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it try a web search for videos that guide you through the process.

For example:

Different device, but the approach is the same.

Message 7 of 9
swsmitty0909
Aspirant

Has anyone else with an R6120 had problems AFTER they updated the latest firmware.  I updated it last night and now my home internet is a mess--constant spinning and extremely slow internet loading; tv which had a perfect picture now gets blurry and buffers all the time.  Wish I hadn't updated--had no problems before.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?  I have reset the router several times.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

@swsmitty0909 you might have better luck starting your own thread versus jumping on someone elses. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7