× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 Remote access via Netgear Genie

TechSolvers
Aspirant

R6220 Remote access via Netgear Genie

Hello

Im trying to setup remote access for Genie for the R6220 which I have running as a router (not Access Point mode).

I'm running the most recent firmware (1.1.0.68 at time of posting) with the most recent available Genie apps for iPhone, Mac and Windows.

I can see that the R6220 does support Remote Access for Genie because there is a link to How to remotely access your router using NETGEAR Desktop genie?" at https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6220.aspx#ConfigurationAssistance_CommonTopics 

Having read, re-read and followed How to remotely access your router using NETGEAR Desktop genie? many times, I never see the "Login As" dropdown box on the Router Settings screen which should allow me to select "Remote User".

No sweat I thought, I'll just activate Remote Management and we'll make do with that instead. All Genie apps tell me the device does not support Remote Access. The http admin site allows me to turn it on however  attempts to use it fail suggesting the Genie apps are correct in their assertion.

I've tried registering the device to my account, logging in to the account in Genie, switching to my mobile data and then trying to log in using the Remote login however the Device List is always empty.

Any thoughts on what to try next? I feel like Im flogging a dead horse and that Netgears support documentation (which was the only reason I purchased this router) is either incorrect or incomplete.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R6220 Remote access via Netgear Genie

Hi @TechSolvers,

Welcome to the community!

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 2 of 12
TechSolvers
Aspirant

Hi @DexterJB I have replied to your private message, thanks 

Message 3 of 12
hkhenryfu
Aspirant

Hi All,
I got the same situation, what is the solution?
Thanks,
Henry
Message 4 of 12
Chicharra
Aspirant

I'm in the same situation. Help please
Message 5 of 12
Roar1984
Aspirant

Hi! I have the same problem. Could anyone give an answer, please?
Message 6 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@Roar1984 wrote:
Hi! I have the same problem. 

Current firmware on your R6220 from the Netgear Support R6220 Downloads (as of writing R6220 Firmware Version 1.1.0.80)?

The Genie Desktop Version 2.4.52 / 2.4.32, Updated Jan 25, 2018 available from the above Netgear Support R6220 Downloads in place on your Mac?

What location/country/ISP? Some (not sooo) "clever" ISP (and in some locations the government, that's a different story) are blocking domains which are required to gain some kind of VPN or remote access. 

And still, while connected to the R6220 local WiFi or LAN, the Remote Access can't be selected in the desktop App?

Router Login - Remote Access.PNG

Worth a try - again while on the R6220 (W)LAN - are you able to enable the Remote Access in the Genie App (iOS, Android) or the Netgear App (iOS, Android)?

Message 7 of 12
Roar1984
Aspirant

@schumaku

Yes, the current firmware version is  1.1.0.80

Genie version 2.4.52 / 2.4.32. I also haven't this option "Login As" and can't to enable "Remote control" in app. I've done all the same steps like it was described above in the first post.

Country - Russia, Connection - ISP.

Message 8 of 12
Roar1984
Aspirant

I'm sorry, connection type - IPoE
Message 9 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

As confirmed by engineering, the R6220 does not support the Remote Login feature of the Genie app. The KB articles will be modified for correction.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 12
lpwlee
Initiate

The R6220 that suppoed to support the remote management is not working as expected which is a big reason while I go for it. Please help to fix it. Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
kichu-roy
Aspirant

In my firmware version V1.1.0.114_1.0.1, I was not able to see Remote Management in Advanced Settings... Kindly help

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7