× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 Router: Can I get a static IP device to show up in Connected Devices?

MIKEDODD
Tutor

R6220 Router: Can I get a static IP device to show up in Connected Devices?

I can't get a simple plain-text message posted. The editor keeps telling me I have invalid HTML in it, even though there is no HTML at all. So I've attached a PDF file with what I wanted to post. I hope it comes through, and I hope someone can answer my questions. Thanks. --- Mike

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
MIKEDODD
Tutor

Re: SOLVED R6220 Router: Can I get a static IP device to show up in Connected Devices?

Let's close this thread. I think I found the answer in a Linux forum: "The router gets your hostname from the dhcp request." That makes sense, explains why my static-IP Linux server never tells the router its hostname.

So, if I want to see the devices' names in the router, I need to expand DHCP to cover all addresses, and reserve (and name) the fixed addresses in ny network. No problem, and I might change some of those devices to DHCP.

Thanks for the prompt and insightful relies.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

Re: R6220 Router: Can I get a static IP device to show up in Connected Devices?

@MIKEDODD wrote:

I can't get a simple plain-text message posted.

How did you manage to post that then?

Try this:

@MIKEDODD wrote:

I have successfully configured a R6220 router for my home network. Internet on the
WAN port works fine, the router has a static IP address (so I can specify a default route
for my Linux server), and I have wireless working.

Sometimes I want to log into the router as admin and see what devices are connected.
They all show up, but two devices have static IP addresses, so their names appear as
"unknown." (My PC also has a static address, but its name shows up as well.)

how can I get names to show up as well as the addresses? In particular, I have a Netgear
Ethernet/wireless bridge that shows up only as an address, and my Linux server does
the same.

I tried the Address Reservation screen in the router, but my static addresses are below
the dynamic range, and the router won't let me specify them.

Is my only solution to set the dynamic address range wider to include my static IP
devices, then specify those in Address Reservation? I was hoping for a way to keep
dynamic separate from my static range, but have a "lookup table" the router would use to display the static device names instead of "unknown."

Thanks for all information and advice.

Message 2 of 8
MIKEDODD
Tutor

After I moved my text to the PDF file, I wrote the shorter message, and it was accepted.

Try this:

The text from my PDF came through fine. What should I have done to get the original text accepted? There was no HTML in it.

Still hoping for answers to my questions.

Message 3 of 8

@MIKEDODD wrote:

Copy and paste.

Message 4 of 8

@MIKEDODD wrote:

Sometimes I want to log into the router as admin and see what devices are connected.
They all show up, but two devices have static IP addresses, so their names appear as

I wouldn't be so sure that it is the fixed IP address that makes these thing anonymous.

Labels on attached devices are infamously unreliable and a constant cause of complaints.

I assume that you are using a browser to get into the router's controls. If this is on a Windows (or Mac) PC, I find that the desktop genie is a good way of looking at things:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

You can use that to name attached devices in the Network Map.

I tried the Address Reservation screen in the router, but my static addresses are below
the dynamic range, and the router won't let me specify them.

I wonder if this could be getting in the way. But with so little detail, who knows?

Of course, the R6220 is pretty well at the bottom of Netgear's range. It shouldn't be an issue, but you'll get more control over something a bit flashier and newer than this 2016 model.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Are these unknown devices Apple OR Android by chance? 

Be aware of Wifi Private IP address on Apple and Random MAC Address on Android that when enabled will cause a unknown or DEV host name device to be seen instead of a actual host device name. 

You can disable these features while at home. 

@MIKEDODD wrote:

Message 6 of 8
MIKEDODD
Tutor

Re: SOLVED R6220 Router: Can I get a static IP device to show up in Connected Devices?

Let's close this thread. I think I found the answer in a Linux forum: "The router gets your hostname from the dhcp request." That makes sense, explains why my static-IP Linux server never tells the router its hostname.

So, if I want to see the devices' names in the router, I need to expand DHCP to cover all addresses, and reserve (and name) the fixed addresses in ny network. No problem, and I might change some of those devices to DHCP.

Thanks for the prompt and insightful relies.

Message 7 of 8

Not something that we can blame on Netgear for a change.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7