× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 bricked with internet & wifi LED blinking

Retired_Member
Not applicable

R6220 bricked with internet & wifi LED blinking

I was messing around with installing openwrt when it suddenly bricked and i can't access it anymore.

The internet and wifi LED's are blinking when holding in reset button while starting router.

I have tried tftp and nmrpflash without success.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R6220 bricked with internet & wifi LED blinking

I figured it out.

I set my IP to 192.168.1.10 and my gateway to 192.168.1.1 like you would when flashing with TFTP.
This resulted in nmrpflash actually finding my router when advertising on the correct interface.

On the router OpenWRT page, it states that for windows users you are required to connect to the router through a network switch. I tried connecting through a network switch but I still encountered problems.

(I was connected through the switch when it finally worked though).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies

@Retired_Member wrote:

I was messing around with installing openwrt when it suddenly bricked and i can't access it anymore.

Bricked? That's a widely abused term. What symptoms do you see?

If you did this when installing openwrt, then they are the best people to ask for help. Netgear won't be able to offer much help with third party firmware.

Message 2 of 7
111smokey111
Aspirant

I am having the same problem only ive been using the official firmware it we had a power cut while it was upgrading the firmware and i've been forever stuck with the internet light and wifi light alternating i tryed to download tftp2 but all the links are dead i have tryed tftp64 but ive been unsuccessful. ive been using the static ip address,of 192.168.1.1/24 ive even tryed 192.168.0.1/24 all with no success with tftp64. i would really like to try tftp2 but have no way of getting it. Could someone help or have they fixed this before aside from that my R6220 still works great

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 3 of 7

@111smokey111 wrote:

I am having the same problem only ive been using the official firmware it we had a power cut while it was upgrading the firmware and i've been forever stuck with the internet light and wifi light alternating i tryed to download tftp2 but all the links are dead i have tryed tftp64 but ive been unsuccessful. ive been using the static ip address,of 192.168.1.1/24 ive even tryed 192.168.0.1/24 all with no success with tftp64. i would really like to try tftp2 but have no way of getting it. Could someone help or have they fixed this before aside from that my R6220 still works great

It is considered to be bad manners – and is against the community guidelines – to "hijack" a discussion started by someone else. Do that and @Retired_Member can get confused and pushed aside when it comes to fixing their problem.

So I will stick with repeating the usual boilerplate advice on TFTP.

If a standard factory reset fails, there is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If recovery reset fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to enable TFTP on a Windows PC.

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, timing is important, as are the exact details for the commands and prompts you see. It can take several attempts. So if you are forced to use TFTP try a web search for videos that guide you through the process.

For example:

Different device, but the approach is the same.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I figured it out.

I set my IP to 192.168.1.10 and my gateway to 192.168.1.1 like you would when flashing with TFTP.
This resulted in nmrpflash actually finding my router when advertising on the correct interface.

On the router OpenWRT page, it states that for windows users you are required to connect to the router through a network switch. I tried connecting through a network switch but I still encountered problems.

(I was connected through the switch when it finally worked though).

Message 5 of 7
111smokey111
Aspirant

I wasn’t trying to hijack the conversation. I was more less stating that I too am suffering the same problem with the same symptoms and no real clear way to fix it. What’s bad manners is the amount of garbage you need to look though to find a solution to common problem. Bricking happens it’s life. I struggled to find anyone else who was seeing the same alternating lights between wifi and internet. I tried @Retired_Member method and it worked. So thank you everyone helping.

Next time I’ll keep in mind to start my own thread
Message 6 of 7

@111smokey111

I wasn’t trying to hijack the conversation.

You were not using openwrt. Your scenario was therefore completely different. This community isn't really the place to ask about openwrt. Hence the warning.

However, I provided you with guidance on how to address corrupt firmware.

@111smokey111
I struggled to find anyone else who was seeing the same alternating lights between wifi and internet.

That is not a sign of a "bricked" router. It just says the router is working. (Flashing = traffic.) The state of the power LED is what matters.

As the manual says:

"If the Power LED blinks slowly and continuously, the router firmware is corrupted."

@111smokey111 wrote:
I tried @Retired_Member method and it worked.

Whatever you did, unless your description was incomplete in some way, it had nothing to do with a bricked router.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7