× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300 Wireless Speed Drops, Requires Hard Reset to Restore

CyberCoach
Aspirant

R6300 Wireless Speed Drops, Requires Hard Reset to Restore

Need some help. I have an R6300v1 running latest firmware v1.02.2.78.

Noticed wireless speeds on 2.4 and 5.0 below 1 Mbps. I connect to internet at 100Mbps +.

I'm using Speedtest.net. Once it slows down it shows on all devices, two iPads Air2, 2 pnones (ios and android) and one laptop.

Powering router down, counting to 30 and powering on does not clear. Changing channels does not clear. If I hard reset, pin in the back for eight seconds and place my network names in with DHCP starting at address 100 the speed returns. On 5.0 it is over 100Mbps matching my wired speed and on the 2.4 it runs between 30 and 50Mpbs. Will run for a day or two and then it drops. In the latest instance the 2.4 dropped and the 5.0 continued operating. Next morning they were both below 1Mbps.

Router stands on its own, no metal boxes or wireless phone bases.

Not sure when this all started as I usually use my wired desktop. Not keen on droping back on firmware as it exposes holes Netgear has fixed.

Model: R6300v1|Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router - 802.11ac
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
CyberCoach
Aspirant

Re: R6300 Wireless Speed Drops, Requires Hard Reset to Restore

Please consider this problem closed. The relaod and reset to default was performed and since then there has been no issues.

Thanks agian for quick, professional help. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CyberCoach,

You can try manually re-flashing the latest firmware then do a factory reset and reconfigure the router again. The links below may help you out.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 12
CyberCoach
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll give of those a read.

I've been on the web and there seems to be this reset process called the 30/30/30. Hold reset button thirty seconds, without releasing, unplug and continue holding another 30 seconds and finally without releasing reset button, plug in and hold for another 30 seconds.

Is this process okay to run on a R6300 and is there any value to erasing the nvram?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CyberCoach,

Yes, it is something that you can try and there are many who claim that it worked for them but it is not something where we can guarantee the end result. It is usually done when the device does not seem to reset back to factory defaults and continue to retain the configuration which may or may not  have something to do with some issues on some devices.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 12
CyberCoach
Aspirant

Thanks.

I read the articles. Both very straight forward. I am concerned that indeed something is not resetting correctly as I have had to do this twice and I know I held reset for more than eight seconds. Each time I lost all my settings.

You have me concerned when you say you can't guarentee end result if I perform 30/30/30. I really just want to ensure the nvram is totally cleared and that I can get Netgear firmware reloaded. If the 30/30/30 would potentially kill router that is a non starter.

On Wednesday morning I will reload firmware as suggested and I will reset. I've been impressed with this router so far. Bought two for clients. Really don't want to replace it and would be concerned that a replacement will have have the same flaw in its workings.

I'll perform and post.

Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CyberCoach,

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 12
CyberCoach
Aspirant

Got side tracked. Okay, manual flashed my router with latest firmware and set my options.

The monitoring begins.

Thanks for help.

Message 7 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CyberCoach,

Were there any improvements?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 12
CyberCoach
Aspirant

Still a little earlyt osay but it is very positive. The network speed has been sustained, wirelessly, since I manual reloaded firmware as per your instructions. If I don't see a reoccurence this weak I will mark this solved.

Interest that a reset alone wouldn't fix. 

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CyberCoach,

Thank you for the update.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 12
CyberCoach
Aspirant

Please consider this problem closed. The relaod and reset to default was performed and since then there has been no issues.

Thanks agian for quick, professional help. 

Message 11 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CyberCoach,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats