× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300v2 Router Won't Connect With a New IP

MikeMalley
Aspirant

R6300v2 Router Won't Connect With a New IP

Hi everyone,

How can I get my router to accept a new IP address from my modem?

I recently changed my IP address on Charter by power cycling my SB6121 modem while connected to my PC instead of my 6300v2 router. Since there is a new MAC address it will provide a new IP. 

While the router was connected directly to my PC the connection was stable and I was able to confirm the new IP.

When reconnecting my router it refused to recognize the new IP address, instead giving me 0.0.0.0 for IP, Subnet and Gateway. 

Only after power cycling my modem did my router finally accept the connection but I am now back to the IP address I started with before manually changing it. 

Thank you for your time and help,

Mike

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R6300v2 Router Won't Connect With a New IP

Technically, it's not so much that the router will not accept the new IP address from modem than it is that the modem, or possibly the DHCP server inside the ISP's network, isn't handing out a new IP address because it already gave out one to your computer. Power cycling the modem forces a new IP address to be issued to the first device that connects to it.

Probably the easiest thing to do is clone your PC's MAC address on the router. This will fake out the modem/ISP into thinking that your router is your PC.

Log into the router and click on the big Internet panel. At the bottom will be a section to set the router's MAC address. If you happened to log into the router with your PC, then you can click on the Use Computer MAC address. Otherwise, click on Use This MAC address and enter your computer's MAC address. Click Applyto save the change. You may have to reboot the router or unplug and replug the Ethernet cable between the router and the modem for the change to take effect.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Technically, it's not so much that the router will not accept the new IP address from modem than it is that the modem, or possibly the DHCP server inside the ISP's network, isn't handing out a new IP address because it already gave out one to your computer. Power cycling the modem forces a new IP address to be issued to the first device that connects to it.

Probably the easiest thing to do is clone your PC's MAC address on the router. This will fake out the modem/ISP into thinking that your router is your PC.

Log into the router and click on the big Internet panel. At the bottom will be a section to set the router's MAC address. If you happened to log into the router with your PC, then you can click on the Use Computer MAC address. Otherwise, click on Use This MAC address and enter your computer's MAC address. Click Applyto save the change. You may have to reboot the router or unplug and replug the Ethernet cable between the router and the modem for the change to take effect.

Message 2 of 3
MikeMalley
Aspirant

Thank you very much I will test out this method and report back with the results. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7