× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300v2 patch to use SMBv2?

LarryLJones
Aspirant

R6300v2 patch to use SMBv2?

I just purchased a large external HD to connect to my router for sharing files with members of my family and found while the drive is visible it is unusable because the router uses SMBv1, which has been disabled by Microsoft with Windows 10 due to malware/ransomware issues. Routers now need to be able to support SMBv2 or SMBv3 to be able to share files over the network.

I confirmed this by temporarily turning SMBv1 back on and I could access the drive and create folders and such with no problem. But leaving that on is NOT an option I will use due to the threats out there that use the security issues that cause.

I have seen firmware updates for other Netgear routers mentioned in other threads in the community and am wondering if there is going to be an update for the R6300v2? I did just check the firmware today to see if I needed an update and I was updated to V1.0.4.18_10.0.84, but that must not have done anything for the SMB issue as I am still unable to access the drive via the network.

Anyone else have this issue and have a solution? This has been a known issue for many months now so I would have expeected the latest firmware would have the fix, but since it doesn't and if there is nothing coming soon, then I may need to dump Netgear and buy another router that stays secure and up to date.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
LarryLJones
Aspirant

Re: R6300v2 patch to use SMBv2?

Good news folks. In working with NetGear support (sending them screen captures and such of the problem) they have created a new firmware relase (V1.0.4.24_10.0.87) which solves the problem!

I downloaded the firmware update from the support site (I was unable to do it through the router update tab) but once the firmware was applied I was able to access the attached USB drive without making the change back to SMBv1. So it now works with SMBv2.

Solved! 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @LarryLJones,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 2 of 5
LarryLJones
Aspirant

It seems that a message that everyone could read would be helpful as I am sure others have this problem and are wondering about solving the issue.

I am trying to handle this through support now that y'all have contacted me that way but it's not going very quickly either. Probably would have been just as quick leaving it here in the community while helping others with the same problem.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 3 of 5
Xpsp5
Aspirant

I am in the same boat as you!

You would think this would of come up with the Eternal blue and double pulsar threats. 

Please give us a firmware upgrade so we can use our media devices. 

Thank you!

Message 4 of 5
LarryLJones
Aspirant

Good news folks. In working with NetGear support (sending them screen captures and such of the problem) they have created a new firmware relase (V1.0.4.24_10.0.87) which solves the problem!

I downloaded the firmware update from the support site (I was unable to do it through the router update tab) but once the firmware was applied I was able to access the attached USB drive without making the change back to SMBv1. So it now works with SMBv2.

Solved! 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7