× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 not reaching gigabit on LAN

Xyrien02
Aspirant

R6400 not reaching gigabit on LAN

I'm currently subscribed to Xfinity's gigabit plan. I can't seem to get gigabit speeds when connected to the router by LAN.

I'm getting gigabit speeds when connected directly to the modem but there's just 2 LAN ports and that's why I purchased this router.

• Both network cables from the modem - router and router - PC are cat6.
  • PC LAN port supports 1000M.
  • QOS has been disabled.
  • IPv6 has been disabled.
  • UPnP has been disabled.

I have tried all configuration that I can possibly google but I just can't get past 500mbps down.

Does this router really support gigabit speeds or is there another config that I'm missing?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: R6400 not reaching gigabit on LAN

Looks like your modem is also a router. That can cause problems when connected to a second router.

Might be worth investigating how you can set it to modem only (bridge) mode, or you could try putting the Netgear router into wireless access point mode. That would let you see if the speed goes up.

There is a manual for the R6400 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Check the section Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

@Xyrien02 wrote:
I'm getting gigabit speeds when connected directly to the modem but there's just 2 LAN ports and that's why I purchased this router.

What is this modem?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 6
Xyrien02
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Modem is Arris TG3482G.

Router firmware version is V1.0.1.42_1.0.28

Message 3 of 6

Looks like your modem is also a router. That can cause problems when connected to a second router.

Might be worth investigating how you can set it to modem only (bridge) mode, or you could try putting the Netgear router into wireless access point mode. That would let you see if the speed goes up.

There is a manual for the R6400 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Check the section Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point.

Message 4 of 6
Xyrien02
Aspirant

Thank you so much!!

After putting my modem to bridge mode and changing my R6400 to wireless AP mode, I'm getting the same speeds as when I was connected to the xfinity modem directly.

You just made my day!

Message 5 of 6

One of those changes is usually enough.

Modem to bridge more OR router to access point mode.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7