× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400v2 firmware update broke gigabit LAN

noctowl
Tutor

R6400v2 firmware update broke gigabit LAN

It seems that one of the firmware updates released in 2021 broke gigabit LAN on the router, causing it to be limited to 100/100M when both devices auto-negotiate, or it keeps dropping the connection when the PC NIC is forced to use gigabit speeds.

Other users reported a restoration of gigabit LAN speeds after reverting to firmware version 1.0.3.66, although I only noticed this degradation after updating the router in 2022. I run it as an AP.

Nothing in my setup changed save for the firmware update. The Intel PROSet diagnostic tool reports no issues with the cables, just that the link partner is unable to support gigabit speeds.

How is this to be reported to netgear? seems like a very widespread issue. I will simply revert to an older firmware, but it would be nice to have security fixes from 2021 as well.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
noctowl
Tutor

Re: R6400v2 firmware update broke gigabit LAN

Well, I can't delete or edit my own posts apparently -- but the issue is resolved, it was one of the cables that were causing the issue. I probably changed it around the time i updated the firmware last year and didn't realise.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
noctowl
Tutor

Re: R6400v2 firmware update broke gigabit LAN

Well, I can't delete or edit my own posts apparently -- but the issue is resolved, it was one of the cables that were causing the issue. I probably changed it around the time i updated the firmware last year and didn't realise.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series