× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyDLNA visible but access denied

ReadyDLNA visible but access denied

Hi there,

I have a 1TB external drive connected to my router. I can access the drive as a network drive from all PCs over WiFi without any problems. - but I can't access the drive as a media server.

Both options "activate media server" and "activate TiVo support" are activated, the scan is set to automatic (well you can't click anything else there) and I have given the media server a name. It is visible on all the devices - PS3, Yamaha network player, Genie app on andriod phone, PCs,.... --> but NO device can access it! One says "access denied" the other one says "no files" windows says "connection was not accepted" etc... It's very annoying as it used to work fine before.

It's definately a problem of the router and not of any device as no device can open the media server. I hardly changed any settings of the router - only name of the server, SID and so on. I have already restored the router to factory settings but it is the same thing then! "ReadyDLNA" is visible on every device but access is denied.

Thank you for your help!

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: ReadyDLNA visible but access denied

Hi @SarastroSaruman,

NETGEAR routers can handle 25000 media files and 10000 files for iTunes.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SarastroSaruman,

1. Have you tried using another external drive (flash drive, another external HDD)?

2. Do you have any form of encryption for the external drive?

3. What is the firmware version of the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 7

Hi Dexter,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have tried it with a USB stick and it worked. I have then plugged the external disk into my computer and have deleted the folder (.ReadyDLNA)

This worked in so far as all my devices can no access the media server again. The problem is still not completely solved however, as now it does not show me all the folders and no music and no videos. Only photos are shown correctly.

Is it possible that the R6300v2 only can process a certain amount of data? I have 400GB on the harddisc now - maybe the router can't process that amount of media data???

Thank you,

Florian

Message 3 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SarastroSaruman,

NETGEAR routers can handle 25000 media files and 10000 files for iTunes.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 7

Well there we have the problem... My photos alone are 25.000 - that's why it only shows me pictures and no music and no videos.

It is rather annoying that I have to buy a new router after just one year.

Do you have other routers that can handle conserably more media files or do I have to buy another brand?

Thank you

Message 5 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SarastroSaruman,

Most of the latest NETGEAR routers max out on that due to the MiniDLNA version they use.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 7

Thank you Dexter.

I have bought a synology NAS to solve the problem.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7