× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readyshare is not accessible.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think this is a router problem.

You may want to check Microsoft regarding that error. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/the-device-or-resource-pc-name...

Message 26 of 48
MardnS
Aspirant

I just borrowed another computer, and it gets the same error message, so I would still assume it has nothing to do with my Windows.

Message 27 of 48

If we are talking here Windows 10. The other computer might have had the same update that you got and therefor you you both lost that specific functionality. If that is the case this thread or the links tho other threads should solve your problem... as it did with me.

If we are not talking Windows 10... you are propably with the wrong thread 😞
Message 28 of 48
MardnS
Aspirant

Can anyone then steer me in the right direction for WIndows 8.1 fixture of the issue?

Message 29 of 48

My advicev is too start a seperate thread for the Win 8.1 question as it is not related.
Message 30 of 48
JaseHun
Initiate

This worked.

It took over 60 minutes to find this solution. So annoyed with the manufactures that they don't have a fix in the firmware and that it was so hard to find this fix.

Message 31 of 48
Woody917
Aspirant

Worked great for me after I entered my Microsoft account and password! I am using a MS Account and not local.

Message 32 of 48
Hughie46
Initiate

Thank  you. Your Manage Credentials fixed the problem. I'm not sure way, but it took weeks of searching for a resolution. When you do run\\readyshare as directed the error message one gets makes no mention of credentials only permissions.

So if I may:

Go to Control Panel

Select "User Accounts

Select "Manage your credentials" (left side, first option)

Select "Windows Credentials"

Click on "Add a Windows Credetial" (first line,blue text)

Enter \\readyshare in the top box

Enter your user name in the center box

Enter your password in the bottom box

Click "OK"

Close Credential window

One of my devices found readyshare immediately, while the other need me to run \\readyshare. Both now can access my external hard drive wirelessly.

Again thanks.

Message 33 of 48
AlpineKid66
Guide

Had to re-install Windows 10 Pro. Opened File Explorer and can see this computer but not "READYSHARE".

Did what was suggested and went to Control Panal > Credential Manager & clicked on Windows Credentials.

Clicked on Add a Windows credential & the three boxes showed up.

copy/pasted "\\readyshare" in the first box.

User name: I put the routerlogin.net name and its password.

Did not work.

I do not have a "windows user name" or password. Someone else stated to put in the login that is used when signing in. But I do not have that either. Mine goes right to the desktop.

Just because Windows has to be or is re-installed, it should not be very hard to setup "READYSHARE".

So why is it??

Message 34 of 48
AlpineKid66
Guide

Did you put xxxxx@outlook.com in the center box and your password in the bottom box?

And it took it?

Message 35 of 48
AlpineKid66
Guide

Did not work for me.

Message 36 of 48
AlpineKid66
Guide

This did not work for me.

Message 37 of 48
AlpineKid66
Guide

This did not work for me.

Message 38 of 48
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AlpineKid66 I see that you have contacted support. Let me make a follow-up on that. 

Message 39 of 48
AlpineKid66
Guide

I would really like to get this solved. Yes I contacted support & they hung up on me.

Thank you for the help.

I tried to change the picture in the one post but could not. Please let me know how to do this.

Message 40 of 48
geohey
Aspirant

I have Windows 10.   Adding "a new windows credential" as mentioned above did not work for me but it got me close!   I also had to delete all of the existing windows credentials that were created by windows for my router.   As soon as I did that, it worked.   I am guessing I had changed a lot of things on the router and my existing settings were not updated (router name, ip address, etc.)

Message 41 of 48
Jim-W
Guide

I too am running Windows 10 and followed the ideas on this thread.  Windows Explorer sees the USB device (a memory stick) so I think the windows credentials are OK.  I can read and write to it from Explorer.  I also tried turning off my firewall to no avail.  The Genie software (run from a browser) sees the Readyshare and shows no passwords set on it.

The problem is the ReadySHARE Vault software says "no ReadySHARE device detected".

Message 42 of 48
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jim-W Did you try to factory reset the router then start from scratch?

Message 43 of 48
Jim-W
Guide

The router is brand new so I did not do a reset because I didn't want to go through seupt again.  The good news is by experimenting I clicked the underlined readyshare link in the Genie program on my PC.  That prompted for username/password then it opened a Windows Explorer window of the USB drive.  From then on Genie recognized the drive!

readyshare link.png

Thanks for responding.  This was a big time sink.  I hope it works again after a reboot.

Message 44 of 48
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update!

Glad that it's up and running.

Message 45 of 48
bobcade
Tutor

I resolved this problem tonight.  I tried all of the others solutions with managing windows credentials or turn off password protected sharing or enable 40 or 56 bit encryptopm but what resolved it for me was simply changing the routers admin password to something new after I had the readyshare configured.  Hope it helpes someone else.

Message 46 of 48
Jim-W
Guide

I'm pretty much ready to give up on this.  Today my PC and Readyshare does not recognize my USB drive.  I tried various things including rebooting the router.  Not sure what I did but for a few minutes the Readyshare software saw the drive as did Windows Explorer.  Then it evaporated.  I'm thinking the Netgear software is flaky and I've spent too much time on this already.  I'm thinking about returning the unit and getting another brand. Too bad because that's a pain too.

Message 47 of 48
psbecker
Aspirant

HELP!  I just bought a new R6220 to replace my dead Netgear 3400v1 which had been behaving nicely for many years.  Connected it by hardwire to my Dell PC running fully patched Win 1o Home.  Router Firmware is current: V1.1.0.34_1.0.1.  I have attached a WD Passport 1TB hard drive to the R6220 via USB.  It had prefiously been attached to the 3400 where it performed without problems. I followed all the printed instructions to set up \\Readyshare.  The good news is that I can read all the files and directories on that drive.  The bad news is that I cannot modify or delete any of them, although curiously I can change the names of some -- but not all -- of the files and directories.

I followed the instructions found elsewhere on this thread and successfully created the windows credential.  However, I still cannot change or delete the existing files.  When I look at the Share properties for the directories and files, I find that there are only three User Names listed: "Everyone", "root (R6220\root" and "root R6220\root".  Yes, that second name is listed twice.  Surprisingly all three names have NO permissions granted to them and the system will not let me add any.  When I bring up the "Advanced" tab, it shows that the "Owner" is set to "root (R6220\root)" and when I try to change that, I get a confusing error message:  "The program cannot open the required dialog box because it cannot determine whether the computer named 'READYSHARE' is joined to a domain.  Close this message and try again".

I have tried this on three Windows PCs and had the identical problem.

This is driving me crazy.  I have scoured the Internet and find numerous complaints about Permissions issue related to the USB facility on many current Netgear routers, going back several years.  I am disappointed that Netgear has yet to correct the problem, but I am looking for any suggestions.  The only thing I have not tried is to copy all of the files to another drive on one of my PCs, reformat the WD drive, reinstall it on the R2660, then move the files back to their original home.

Message 48 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series