× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Red light on AC1750 Model R6400

jerfurth
Tutor

Red light on AC1750 Model R6400

I have this an older AC1750 - R6400 router and have two devices plugged directly into it.  One of the direct plugins has a solid red light although it is working perfectly.  How do I eliminate the red light as I am concerned it will become problematic.

Please advise.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions

Re: Red light on AC1750 Model R6400

@jerfurth wrote:

It appears the red light is normal.

Indeed. That is what @plemans said in the first answer to your question.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Whats plugged into it? usually the red/amber light indicates its connection is a 10/100mbps and not gigabit. 

Message 2 of 10
jerfurth
Tutor

Thank you for the reply.  I simply ran the cat5e cable directly from the router to a TCL Smart TV rather than using the wifi connection.   Everything is working fine, but I am concerned about the red light.  Any other insights are greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

What tv is it? 

Most tv's aren't gigabit. 

Again, if the device its connecting to isn't gigabit, it connects as a 10/100mbps connection and so will show amber/red. 

Message 4 of 10
jerfurth
Tutor

It is a basic 55" TCL and shouldn't be anything that would cause a problem.  I tried several different cables, did a soft reset on the modem etc.  I have not tried a hard reset but hesitate to do that as everything is working perfectly.  I just have had the red light since I pluged the TV in directly to the modem.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Is it not working? 

Whats all the lights doing? 

What exact light is red? 

Message 6 of 10

@jerfurth wrote:

I just have had the red light since I pluged the TV in directly to the modem.

What is this "modem"?

In general, LEDs for Ethernet connections follow the same convention. Modems, routers, switches they are usually the same.They are speed indicators.

As has been said already, several times, the red (amber) Ethernet LEDs on R6400 tell you how fast a device is connected to the router on that LAN port.

Here's what t says in the manual:

"The LED color indicates the speed: white for Gigabit Ethernet connections and amber for 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections."

Page 11.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 7 of 10
jerfurth
Tutor

Everything is working perfectly but was surprised to see the red light on the port where I plugged the TV into directly.  I have another port directly connected which feeds a number of other devices in my home - other TV's & a desktop - rather than utilizing the wifi system.  That port is a solid white and I was expecting the port where I plugged in the TV to be the same.  Perhaps it is normal.

Thanks for the help.

Message 8 of 10
jerfurth
Tutor

Thanks for the help and I have looked over page 11 of the manual.  It appears the red light is normal.

Message 9 of 10

@jerfurth wrote:

It appears the red light is normal.

Indeed. That is what @plemans said in the first answer to your question.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7