× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Roku or Amazon streaming stick does't connect to WNDR3400 router

FrustratedIN
Tutor

Roku or Amazon streaming stick does't connect to WNDR3400 router

I have a WNDR3400 wireless router and am having trouble connecting a streaming media device. I have tried both a Roku and Amazon streaming stick. During installation, the streaming device can see my wireless network, after entering my network password (set for WPA2-PSK) the streaming device fails to connect. I have tried shutting off security (only as a test, wouldn't keep my network open), but get the same result, a failure to connect.

I have never had this problem with other devices- PC, ipads, iphones and android phones, and a streaming DVD player all connect and operate normally to the router. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions about how to correct this. I bought my router in 2012, so I have to pay for support from Netgear, I rather get a new router instead. Thanks.

Frustrated customer

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Roku or Amazon streaming stick does't connect to WNDR3400 router

Try changing the Wi-Fi password to something simpler. Maybe, the Roku or Amazon can't handle special characters. Keep in mind that Wi-Fi passwords are case sensitive.

Hmm, your original post said that they can't connect with no security at all. That's really weird. Try performing a factory reset.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Are you trying to connect them to the 5 GHz network? I saw reports that the Fire stick is finicky about the Wi-Fi channel. Experiment with changing the channel on the WNDR3400. Or you could try connecting to 2.4 GHz. Speeds may be lower but it may still be fast enough to provide satisfactory video quality.

Message 2 of 5
FrustratedIN
Tutor

Hi: All my devices connect to the 2.4 GHz network, so this is what I tried. I also tried the Roku on the 5 GHz network, without success. What is weird (actually frustrating) is that the streaming devices "see" what I am doing. So when I have the security on, my network displays as locked. When I shut off the security, my network shows as open. This tells me that the router is recognized, and signal strength is ok. Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Try changing the Wi-Fi password to something simpler. Maybe, the Roku or Amazon can't handle special characters. Keep in mind that Wi-Fi passwords are case sensitive.

Hmm, your original post said that they can't connect with no security at all. That's really weird. Try performing a factory reset.

Message 4 of 5
FrustratedIN
Tutor

The factory reset solved the problem, thank you! Was hesitant to do this as I use access control and I had to reenter all the device MAC addresses. I found the router was acting weird since I updated the firmware a few weeks ago. Should have known. Thanks again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7