× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Not Working - Trouble Shot w/ Spectrum, No Problem with Modem

hhagen
Follower

Router Not Working - Trouble Shot w/ Spectrum, No Problem with Modem

Hi! 

I cannot access my WiFi, I spoke to Spectrum and they verified on their end that the service is there and the internet signal is running great. Spectrum told me to contact NetGear as the problem must be the router. NetGear told me that they can not trouble shoot the router unless I pay for technical support, (which seems absurd to me because I paid for the router). 

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do? I've reset the router and unplugged it. Nothing has helped so far.

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: Router Not Working - Trouble Shot w/ Spectrum, No Problem with Modem

If you reset your router, power it down, and power down your modem from spectrum. Now plug back in your spectrum modem, and wait a few minutes til you see the internet light come on the modem and then plug the netgear router back to the power. Wait and see if you're back online,

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

You put you can't access your wifi. 

What actually happens? 

Is the wifi not broadcasting? 

Is it broadcasting but you can't connect? 

Can you connect but it says "connected, no internet"?

Details are key in helping troubleshoot

Message 3 of 4

@hhagen wrote:

I cannot access my WiFi, I spoke to Spectrum and they verified on their end that the service is there and the internet signal is running great.

The Internet probably gets to your router through a modem before it gets to your R6120. Probably something that Spectrum "gave" you. What is it? Knowing that could be important.

@hhagen wrote:

NetGear told me that they can not trouble shoot the router unless I pay for technical support, (which seems absurd to me because I paid for the router). 

When you paid for the R6120 router, an inexpensive bottom of the range box (see below), it did not include free lifetime technical support. You did pay for 90 days of setup support.

But this place has free support.

I hope you don lt have an Internet service that is faster than 100 Mbps. Your router isn't fast enough for that.

According to Netgear's data sheet for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer Internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

Nothing wrong with it being slow, just don't expect too much.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7