× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router R6230 used as an AP-How do I update firmware? Netgear fogot that in the User Manual.

EAPRouterUser
Aspirant

Router R6230 used as an AP-How do I update firmware? Netgear fogot that in the User Manual.

Hi All; I have (2) R6230 Routers for my WiFi.  One is used as an AP.  
Back in late Nov., Charter/Spectrum messed up my system by doing some service work on
my wiring in the area.
I had to reset my router with a pin to get it working again. I also updated it to the latest firmware; 1.1.0.114.
It was faster with the update. Now I would like to update the router used as an Access Point, but
Netgear didn't put that in their User Manual for Model R6230. Unless it is labeled something else.
Can someone supply instructions for that process?
I would like some additional speed out of that Access Point.
Then I have a used R6230 on the shelf that I bought cheap for an emergency backup.
How do I test and update it with minimum work? Thanks EAP

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Router R6230 used as an AP-How do I update firmware? Netgear fogot that in the User Manual.

@EAPRouterUser wrote:
Now I would like to update the router used as an Access Point, but
Netgear didn't put that in their User Manual for Model R6230. Unless it is labeled something else.

It is in the manual but you have to get into the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for the access point. You cannot use the usual address (routerlogin.net) because in AP mode the R6230 gets its address from the router.

You need to find the IP address of the R6230. The easiest way may be to go to the main router and look at its list of "Attached Devices". (Look at the bit in the manual View Devices Currently on the Network).

Look for the address of the AP.

Feed that into a browser. You should then get the GUI for the AP.

Now you can just follow the manual's instructions for a manual update to the firmware. They will be the same as you used for the first R6230.

This bit in the manual Manually Upload Firmware to the Router.

Here's another way:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies

Re: Router R6230 used as an AP-How do I update firmware? Netgear fogot that in the User Manual.

@EAPRouterUser wrote:
Now I would like to update the router used as an Access Point, but

It is in the manual but you have to get into the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for the access point. You cannot use the usual address (routerlogin.net) because in AP mode the R6230 gets its address from the router.

You need to find the IP address of the R6230. The easiest way may be to go to the main router and look at its list of "Attached Devices". (Look at the bit in the manual View Devices Currently on the Network).

Look for the address of the AP.

Feed that into a browser. You should then get the GUI for the AP.

Now you can just follow the manual's instructions for a manual update to the firmware. They will be the same as you used for the first R6230.

This bit in the manual Manually Upload Firmware to the Router.

Here's another way:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 8
EAPRouterUser
Aspirant

Thanks MK, I'll work on the update during the week and report back.  EAPRouterUser   

Message 3 of 8
EAPRouterUser
Aspirant

I followed the instructions, but I get stuck.   I can find the IP address for the AP Device just fine in the Attached Device list.   I then enter it into the Web Brouser and the information that comes up is for the R6230 main router, not the AP.  It has a GUI number.    

Is that no. the same for both devises?   And what do I do with it if correct?  

The manual update instructions do not say anything about using that no.   

Thanks for any more help you can provide.   EAP

Message 4 of 8

@EAPRouterUser wrote:

I followed the instructions, but I get stuck.   I can find the IP address for the AP Device just fine in the Attached Device list.   I then enter it into the Web Brouser and the information that comes up is for the R6230 main router, not the AP. 

How do you know which one comes up?

They are identical routers and will have the same GUI.

The difference will be in the firmware version and the operating mode. In AP mode some controls will not be available.

The GUI will show the firmware version at the top right-hand corner.

You can also see these details, and the operation mode, on the Advanced > Setup page in the GUI.

@EAPRouterUser wrote:

It has a GUI number.    

Is that no. the same for both devises?   And what do I do with it if correct?  

I don't know what that is.

You should be able to bring up both R6230s in browser windows at the same time. Then you can see them side by side and compare what is there.

Message 5 of 8
EAPRouterUser
Aspirant

HI MK,I think I finally got my AP device updated.  My final question is: How can I verify that my AP unit is truely updated with the V1.1.0.114 firmware?

To answer your previous question about knowing if I am working on the AP unit, I just use the MAC address.  I have (2) R6230 routers, Netgear48 is setup as the /router, Netgear34 is set up as the AP device. 

To update the AP device this is what I did:  I hope it helps others.   

I downloaded the Firmware1st., Version V1.1.0.114  at netgear.com/support.    I then Extracted it so it was an .img  file.    R6230 - V1.1.0.114_1.1.1.img     I left it open so I could drag and drop it later.   

Opened a web browser from my laptop connected to it's Router Network.

Enter www.routerlogin.net  and my username and pasword.   

Selected; Attached Devices and printed it.

Found the IP address of the AP Router Netgear34 based on it's MAC address.

It was in the list of Wired Devices as it uses an Ethernet cable.  

I entered the IP Address mentioned above into a new web browser, then my username and password. 

Then select; Advanced >Administration > Firmware Update.  Here is where it got confusing.   When I got there all the information is for the actual Router Netgear48, not the AP unit Netgear34.    All the numbers belonged to Netgear48 Router.  But I just moved forward.  I guess I don't undrstand the GUI nomeclature stuff since I'm a rookie at this.     

I clicked "Choose File" and went back to the downloaded firmware file  V1.1.0.114_1.0.1.img mentioned  previously.  Then Drag and Drop that .img file behind the "Choose File" box.  

Click "Upload".   It uploaded for the 3 minutes mentioned.  So it did something!!!

I think I said Yeaaa!  

I actually think it updated the AP unit as:  Two of the IP addresses changed in the Attached Devices list.  They were the same no's, they just switched places. 

Also when I checked the Roku's wirelessly linked to the AP devise the M  

Message 6 of 8
EAPRouterUser
Aspirant

Was my previous message to long?  I don't see all of it on line. 

Where did it go. Can you folks see it?   Ed  

Message 7 of 8

@EAPRouterUser wrote:

HI MK,I think I finally got my AP device updated.  My final question is: How can I verify that my AP unit is truely updated with the V1.1.0.114 firmware?

Open the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for the AP in a browser.

The firmware version is there at the top of the page:

michaelkenward_0-1676111434622.png

That's for my R7800 in AP mode.

When I got there all the information is for the actual Router Netgear48, not the AP unit Netgear34.    All the numbers belonged to Netgear48 Router. 

I do not know where you saw those  numbers, but to me they look like the default SSIDs for the WiFi.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7