× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[Solved] WNDR4500 Using Same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

j_fix
Tutor

[Solved] WNDR4500 Using Same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

I coudn't find a solution for this by searching so I'm posting:

Using firefox: (other browsers may work but this is what I used)

1. Log into to router on browser.

2. Select Wireless

3. Set up everything on this page as you require.

4. Set ssid of both 2.4 and 5 GHz to be different values.  For example set the 2.4 GHz ssid to "Wanted" and the 5 GHz ssid to "redundant". Where "Wanted" the ssid that you wish for both frequencies.

5. Push "F12" to open up the javascript debugger.

6. On the left hand side browse through the files to find WLG_wireless_dual_band.htm and select it.

7. On the right hand side of the javascript debugger there is a search scripts box - type #same which will take you to the javascript check for using the same SSID.  Looking something like this:

if(cf.ssid.value==cf.ssid_an.value)
    {
        alert("2.4G and 5G have the same SSID");
        return false;
    }

8. 3 or 4 lines down you will see a statement like:

if (cf.ssid.value == "")

9. Right click on this statement and select "Add Breakpoint" from menu.

10. Directly on the original configuration page (above the javascript debugger) click on the  "Apply" button.

The javascript debugger should now stop at the breakpoint line you set above and should have passed the check that stops them being set to the same value.

11. At the very bottom line of the javascript debugger type:

cf.ssid_an.value = "Wanted"

where Wanted is the ssid that you want for both networks. You need to include the quotes.

Then push "F8" or click on the javascript debugger play icon to continue.

At this point the router should finish applying the settings and allow both SSID's to be the same.

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
j_fix
Tutor

Re: [Solved] WNDR4500 Using Same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

I've tried from a different computer with a fresh install of firefox to try and figure out what the discrepancy could be.

On the original computer I had the "Toggle split console" screen option turned on (second on the left option of those small icons on the right hand side of the javascript debugger) - you can hover the mouse over them to see what each one does.

From the default install: try clicking on the icon that is titled "Console" 3rd from left and then type

Then click on the "Debugger" 4th from left option next to "Console" and push F8. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
Dagk66
Aspirant

How do you enter the text at the bottom of the debugger i.e.

11. At the very bottom line of the javascript debugger type:

It will not allow me to edit the debugger text? Thanks.

Message 2 of 11
j_fix
Tutor

At the very bottom of firefox application window there is a thin command console window that starts with ">>". If you click on this area you should get a flashing command bar to indicate that you can type the required command.

Regards,

j_fix

Message 3 of 11
Dagk66
Aspirant

Sorry........I can't seem to see it?

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 11
j_fix
Tutor

I've tried from a different computer with a fresh install of firefox to try and figure out what the discrepancy could be.

On the original computer I had the "Toggle split console" screen option turned on (second on the left option of those small icons on the right hand side of the javascript debugger) - you can hover the mouse over them to see what each one does.

From the default install: try clicking on the icon that is titled "Console" 3rd from left and then type

Then click on the "Debugger" 4th from left option next to "Console" and push F8. 

Message 5 of 11
Dagk66
Aspirant

That worked perfectly!!! 🙂 Thank you so much. I now have both bands on the same SSID. Been trying to sort this out for a good while so many thanks for your original post and your speedy replies. You've been a great help.

Message 6 of 11
curiousgeorge23
Aspirant

Awesome solution, thank you!  Just incredible.

Now a challenge - how about getting the two guest networks to also have the same SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 ghz, how would I do that? right now it pops up saying they are duplicate values and won't allow it.

Message 7 of 11
j_fix
Tutor

Sorry, I had a look but the guest network ssid is checked for a common value inside the router and not in the clients web browser - so it's not as simple to change.

Message 8 of 11
curiousgeorge23
Aspirant

Thank you for looking.  I figure in end I just will deactivate the 5ghz for guests and just leave the 2.4ghz showing.  Once again thank you for posting your overall solution, works great.

Message 9 of 11
kerng
Aspirant

I noticed this may be specific to WNDR4500 model.  I have a WNDR4300 and it does allow me to specify the same SSID for both bands.  Now whether that is really working or not, I don't know.  Was this solution to get around not being able to even specify the same SSID for both bands in the admin config screens?

Message 10 of 11
curiousgeorge23
Aspirant

Yes, unable to enter same SSID for both bands was original issue but j_fix came up with great workaround.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7