× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using R6400 with three USB hard drives?

user2998374
Aspirant

Using R6400 with three USB hard drives?

I'm interested in purchasing the R6400, but I want three USB hard drives attached:

• One for Time Machine backups
  • another for local CrashPlan backups
  • another for general file storage that is network-accessible (and will be backed up separately from Time Machine).

I do plan to use a network-attached printer as well. I keep both Time Machine and CrashPlan backups because in my experience no backup method is completely problem-free. (I also use CrashPlan Central to back up offsite.)

I think my choices are:

1. Use the R6400 with a USB (3.0) hub and attach the three USB hard drives to the hub.
  2. Use the R6400 with one USB hard drive with three partitions. (Not my first choice since if this drive fails I lose my two local backup sets.)
  3. Use a model similar to the R6400 but which has three USB 3.0 ports intended for USB hard drives.

Are options 1 or 2 unsupported? What option do you recommend for me? If option 3 is best, what model would that be?

Will I encounter any known issues?

Finally, my home internet is Sonic gigabit fiber. Does that change your recommendation?

Thanks!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Using R6400 with two USB hard drives?

Hi @user2998374,

Yes, option 2 is possible since ReadySHARE will be able to detect the drive partitions. As for #3, the model that has the option to connect 3 storage devices is the R7500. However, the third interface is an eSATA port. The only possible issue you may encounter with that setup is if the router will not be able to supply enough power to the connected drives. So, it would help if the drives will have their own power source. Also, I missed that the printer you mentioned is a network printer (I assume connected either via Ethernet or WiFi), which should work fine.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @user2998374,

We do not recommend using a USB hub to use for multiple storage devices since it may not work. You will also only be able to use either the ReadySHARE storage or the ReadySHARE print feature and not simultaneously.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
user2998374
Aspirant

Thanks, Dexter. I'll avoid option #1 then.

Can you confirm that #2 will work and that (#3) there is no other model that has multiple ports intended for USB drives?

Also, I'm guessing that the R6400 is suitable for gigabit fiber. Is there a different model that is better suited for gigabit fiber? I'm less concerned about price and more concerned about wireless performance (to Mac and iOS devices, if it matters).

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @user2998374,

Yes, option 2 is possible since ReadySHARE will be able to detect the drive partitions. As for #3, the model that has the option to connect 3 storage devices is the R7500. However, the third interface is an eSATA port. The only possible issue you may encounter with that setup is if the router will not be able to supply enough power to the connected drives. So, it would help if the drives will have their own power source. Also, I missed that the printer you mentioned is a network printer (I assume connected either via Ethernet or WiFi), which should work fine.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 6
user2998374
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies, Dexter. You’ve been a big help.

Message 5 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @user2998374,

You are welcome.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7