× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAC104 5 GHZ Signal slows down to less than 1 MHz download speed.

jalford
Tutor

WAC104 5 GHZ Signal slows down to less than 1 MHz download speed.

I have a Netgear R6400v2 Wireless Dual Band Rounter connected to the internet modem (Charter).  I have a Tri-level house and this item is installed upstairs in a middle bedroom. I also have two WAC104 access points installed in other parts of the house and wired to the router.  One is on the middle level (extends out sideways from upper and lower) and placed at the outer edge.  The other WAC104 is in the lower level and wired to the router.

The 5 GHz channel on the Access Point  on the middle level starts good in the morning.  Later it will slow down to less than 1 MHz upload speed.  Thought  the first one was faulty, so returned it and ordered another one.  Same problem.  Not sure if there is a setting I have missed  or something wrong with my installation.  Streaming device in this area is directly connected to the WAC104.  I was previously connected via 2.4 GHz with same problem.  

Would like any assistance.or ideas.  Thanks!

Model: WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: WAC104 5 GHZ Signal slows down to less than 1 MHz download speed.

The R6400 is a pretty base model device. 

What firmware is on it?

Any chance you have a different router you could test it on? The R6400 is a pretty base model device. 

Message 2 of 8
jalford
Tutor

Current Firmware versiion is V1.0.4.106_10.0.80.   Noticed there was anew firmware update this morning.

Performed a speed test using my cell phone connected to the WAC104 AP 5GHz channel at 6 am.  Results were 60.2 MB download and 11.4 upload, which is good for my system.  Just did another check using the same cell phone and download was .88 MB.  Upload 4.43 MB.  I plugged in a laptop to the WAC 104 and perfromed a speed test.  Download 116 - Upload 12.

So, for some reason the 5 Gig almost dissapears.  The 2.4 hasn't changed from this morning.  Is there some settings in the Access Point that would make this difference.   Or how i have my system set up?  The 5 Gig on the second WAC slows down some if you turn on the Roku, but still operates.

I do not have another router.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

After you changed firmwares, did you try a factory reset? 

Message 4 of 8
jalford
Tutor

As to the Router, I don't remember and that is the one that has another update.  The symptom has been happening for quite a while and assumed the problem is with the Access Point since the other one operates correctly.  I haven't checked the Access Point (WAC104) to see if it has an update.  

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd check a couple things. 

1. try moving the access point next to the router (for testing) and hardwire it in with a known good 6ft cable. 

2. Check the router an ensure qos is disabled

3. try swapping positions on the access points to see if its a location issue or a access point issue. 

Message 6 of 8
jalford
Tutor

Possibly fixed!!!

Had previously checked the ethernet cable with a cable tester and all was good.  The speed between the AP and the Router was always excellent.  Logged into the Access Point this morning and noticed the channel setting for the 5GHz was set to 153, whereas the 2.4 was set to Auto.  So changed that setting to Auto, rebooted and perfomed a speed test on the 5 GHz whith my phone.  Speed was 116 Mbs, which was normal.  Just performed another speed test at a time where it would be below 1 Mbs and voila!  It was trucking along at 116,  Waiting to see if this solved the problem and not sure why it was set to a single channel.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays stable for you!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7