× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400v2 w/TWC on a 200Mbps plan

shockr
Aspirant

WNDR3400v2 w/TWC on a 200Mbps plan

I have recently upgraded from a 100Mbps plan. I have a new Modem that is set for a Gig. When i have the modem hooked directly to my computer I get 260Mbps/20. When I hook up the modem, my speeds drop to 96/20. TWC checked the connection and the modem and said all is OK, that the issue must be with the router. The literature with the router says it should be good for speeds up to 300Mbps. I must be missing a setting that opens up the router to faster speeds. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
shockr
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3400v2 w/TWC on a 200Mbps plan

I had the TWC modem/router, but found I had this router that was good to 300Mbps. So I bought a Zoom 5370 modem and connected to the Netgear router.Since I was now paying $10 less for not renting the router, I upgraded the service from 100Mbps to 200 tier at the same cost. I mentioned the speeds above. I need the WiFi for my cell and occasionally for a laptop, so the speedis fine there. But I wanted a faster speed to my computer. Can I put in a switch of some kind, or maybe a splitter, to direct the fast speed from the modem to the computer and still have the router hooked up the way it is?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

@shockr wrote:

When i have the modem hooked directly to my computer I get 260Mbps/20. When I hook up the modem, my speeds drop to 96/20.

I don't understand this.

"Hook up the modem" to what?

Message 2 of 6
shockr
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. Normal hookup is modern>router>computer. This is where I get the slower speeds. I think I may have found my problem. The router is a few years old and has only 10/100 Land ports. So anything out of it would be maxed at 100. Maybe I could put in a gigbit switch after the modem. And then run a line to the computer (for the fast speeds) and another line to the router for WiFi. Or may just need a new router.
Message 3 of 6

I did spot that this is a pretty old device. Well January 2013, the date on the manual, which is an age in this technology.

You are right in assessing the LAN speed. I haven't seen a modem/router that slow in years. I moved over to Gigabit several modems back.

The wifi is also going to be slower than newer devices.

If you really need something to handle those speeds, I would look into ditching the ISP's box – they are invariably less capable than we would like – and look for a new modem/router that can handle everything. That would remove a link in the chain.

I don't know which service you have, but TWC is better than most in listing modems that should work on its network:

Lease a Modem from TWC or Buy Your Own Modem

Message 4 of 6
shockr
Aspirant

I had the TWC modem/router, but found I had this router that was good to 300Mbps. So I bought a Zoom 5370 modem and connected to the Netgear router.Since I was now paying $10 less for not renting the router, I upgraded the service from 100Mbps to 200 tier at the same cost. I mentioned the speeds above. I need the WiFi for my cell and occasionally for a laptop, so the speedis fine there. But I wanted a faster speed to my computer. Can I put in a switch of some kind, or maybe a splitter, to direct the fast speed from the modem to the computer and still have the router hooked up the way it is?

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@shockr LAN ports on the WNDR3400v2 can only accommodate up to 100Mbps. It will not help even if you placed a gigabit switch in between.

Your connection will stay up to 100Mbps.

In order for you to maximize the new speed, you will need to upgrade your router to a gigabit one. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7