× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR3700 throughput

and0r
Aspirant

WNDR3700 throughput

Hi, 

What's the normal throughput for a WNDR3700v2?

I'm testing throughput via local FTP and im only achieving a maximum of 10MB/s (megabytes), and 10MB/s is roughly 80mbit per second. Is this normal? I feel this is nowhere near the 300mbit I should be getting.

Here is some more information about my setup: 

- 2.4ghz disabled

- Not running any encryption / security

- Mode is set to "300Mbps"

- WMM enabled

- Single connection to wireless AP (laptop using intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 adapter) + Windows 10

- Laptop is in close range

- Router status page displays two channels being used (Primary+Secondary)

- Firmware is latest version downladed from router update function

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Here's SNB's test of your router 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
and0r
Aspirant

Also, the FTP server and client have no bandwidth restrictions

And primary+secondary channels are open and not being disturbed by other routers.

Message 2 of 12
and0r
Aspirant

I should say the FTP server and client software have no bandwidth restrictions.

I am running my own FTP server, on a desktop connected to the WNDR3700 via LAN

The desktop ethernet adapter is manually set on 1000mbit/1gpbs

The client (laptop) is connected via the wireless AP

Message 3 of 12
Daenerys
Luminary

The actual throughput will vary. There are several factors that could reduce the throughput like interference, distance, load, speed of the CPU, packet size, traffic distribution, etc. Throughput and bandwidth are just the theoretical maximum but not the guaranteed performance.  

Message 4 of 12
and0r
Aspirant

Humm, thanks for the reply but everything is optimal

And there is a pretty large difference between theoretical 300mbps and real world 80mpbs performance

I've never owned N hardware and I can't find real world numbers on what the actual thuroughput should be. So it's all a mystery to me.

Message 5 of 12
netwrks
Master

Here's SNB's test of your router 

Message 6 of 12
and0r
Aspirant

Thanks

It looks like my numbers are normal, but the chart doesn't specify weather its measuring in mbit or mbyte. I will assume mbit.

And I don't understand why the term "300mbit" is marketed so much when nothing realistically achieves this type of throughput.

Message 7 of 12
netwrks
Master

It says Mbps. You can click on the charts, they expand for a better view. 

Message 8 of 12
and0r
Aspirant

Haha, clicking the chart literally does nothing. It brings up the same exact sized image for me on this laptop. Nowhere does it mention Mbps or MB/s.

Anyway, would you mind explaining why "300mbps" is marketed?

It's extreamly immoral, I'm sure that I am not the first one expecting a 300mbps connection only to be let down. (And have a lot of time wasted).

Does it not bother anyone to allow such a blantant and obvious lie soley for the purpose of marketing?

I don't understand how people justify such nonsense. 

Message 9 of 12
netwrks
Master

SNB report, page 3 figure 10 It's says on the top Mbps and you can also expand it.

It says 300Mbps per second because that's what your wireless client can acheive. Because it is wireless it is a theoretical speed. There alot of variables to contribute to the speed you are able to sustain with wifi.  It is not a peice of wire, where the speed is guaranteed. You should try your test with your laptop wired to your router and post your results!

Message 10 of 12
netwrks
Master

Last  article. http://www.snbforums.com/threads/guide-troubleshooting-wifi-issues.12825/

It describes what you are looking for. General tips (applies to both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). Around 8 bullet points down. Hope this clarifies your questions.

Message 11 of 12
and0r
Aspirant

I understand that article is trying to clear up some misconceptions, but it still doesn't explain how 300mbps is rightfully established.
The number which is advertised should be what your device is actually capable of. And finding the real number is almost impossible.
This is very dishonest and no respectable person should ever do something like this. It's quite ridiculous, there really is no excuse for it, other than deceptive marketing, which is pathetic.

The author blames encryption, multiple devices and lost packets(?)
All of which I am not experiencing.
He also goes on to say that half of 300mbps is considered good. I'm only getting 80mbps at best, under the most optimal conditions.

What gives?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7