× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4300

fcs659
Aspirant

WNDR4300

Have no idea where to post this. I received an email I need to update my router...so I click around on the Netgear site, for 10/15 minutes, can't find anything to tell me what I need. Finally find something that looks right, click on it, it wants me to download something, then I get a pop up that the disk is corrupted....I have no disk.... Not a tech geek, anything I see seems to be written for computer pros, not the average user. I have NO clue what the instructions are, or where to find anything...is there a site I can go to for help? I see nothing for support, just kept going around in circles. Did I buy a legitimate router, or is Netgear a shady brand? Or, should I just skip all of this? Thanks.
Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: WNDR4300

When you download the firmware you get a file like WNDR4300-V1.0.2.104.zip

When open it (this can happen almost seamless) you find two files in that ZIP archive, represented like folder by a decent OS

WNDR4300_firmware.PNG

Acessing the router is done by the admin account (username: admin), the default password is password - unless changed, ... 

Once connected to the router Web UI, find the firmware menu (for details please consult the User Manual) - when using the firmware upload, use the WNDR4300-V1.0.2.104.img ... at no point there is a change to the Windows or macOS, the file doens't have to be opened.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Go to https://netgear.com/support ... type in the exact model (not there is a v1 and a v2 version for the WNDR4300!), enter the appropriate model site, go to Downloads ... find the Current Version firmware ... download the ZIP archive ... open the Release Notes and read the information (readily available in the product User Manual or the like, too) on the exact process.

There is no need to open the .img or .chk file on your WOndows or macOS system. This is the firmware image file you upload to the router. 

Message 2 of 6
fcs659
Aspirant

Thanks.... so when I click on Download, I get a window that appears asking if I want to allow changes on my computer. Nothing else happens that I am aware of after that...does that mean it has already downloaded?

Message 3 of 6
fcs659
Aspirant

Contining on...I see on the notes that I have to login to the router and follow that link.....have no clue what my sign in info, or password is.  I find the brochure that came with it, and have info written in for the Wifi network name and password, so ewnter that in the blocks on the screen but then it tells me I am an unauthorized user and shuts me out...   There is no link to find my user name or reset the password, or am I missing something?

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

When you download the firmware you get a file like WNDR4300-V1.0.2.104.zip

When open it (this can happen almost seamless) you find two files in that ZIP archive, represented like folder by a decent OS

WNDR4300_firmware.PNG

Acessing the router is done by the admin account (username: admin), the default password is password - unless changed, ... 

Once connected to the router Web UI, find the firmware menu (for details please consult the User Manual) - when using the firmware upload, use the WNDR4300-V1.0.2.104.img ... at no point there is a change to the Windows or macOS, the file doens't have to be opened.

Message 5 of 6
fcs659
Aspirant

Many thanks for your reply, I honestly have no clue what most of this means, it is totally over my head....this is something I will have to talk to my computer tech guy about the next time he is in the office. This appears to be something that needs to be done on a tech level, not a regular user.

I guess if it was a simplet thing it would be more of "click here", "click here", "Done!"

Thanks for taking the time !!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7