× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR2000 v5 Port Mirror

yesitsme
Aspirant

WNR2000 v5 Port Mirror

Does anyone know if this router can create a port mirror, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Dave

Message 1 of 3

Re: WNR2000 v5 Port Mirror

@yesitsme wrote:

Does anyone know if this router can create a port mirror, and if so, how?

That could mean many things, depending on the circumstances. "Port Mirroring" is usually a "switch" thing. What are you trying to do?

To see what the WNR2000 can do, visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

The WNR2000v5 is an aged (2014) router based on an original (V1) version from 2008. Its ports are limited to 100 Mbps (100BASE-Tx).

Message 2 of 3
yesitsme
Aspirant

Re: WNR2000 v5 Port Mirror

Thanks for the reply.  I did read the documentation and have come to the conclusion the WNR2000V5 cannot do what I want.

I have an IoT device that uses WiFi.  I need to capture traffic using WireShark.  WireShark cannot do this (with the tools I have) over WiFi.  So mirroring the WiFi traffic that goes through the WNR2000V5 to the internet via a hard wire would let me look at that traffic.

I tried something else too.

Internet Gateway <--> (Dumb) Switch <-> WNR200V5 <--> IoT Device (WiFi)

Then I connected my PC running WireShark to the (Dumb) Switch.  That didn't capture any of the WiFi traffic.  Is it because my PC IP is 192.168.xx.xx and the WNR2000V5 is 10.0.x.x?  Dunno.

I have a smart switch I think I can use to mirror the port to capture the packets I want.

Thanks.

Dave

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7