× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What Product?

DoBetter
Aspirant

What Product?

Here's my situation. I have two adjacent fitness studios. I have Comcast Business Class internet in the first studio, and the Comcast device provides 300 mbs speeds, plus 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi. The WiFi is strong enough that I am able to get coverage in the 2nd studio, so ideally I'd like not to order a 2nd Comcast service.

On the WiFi, I have my computer, phones for myself and staff, plus a speaker system (SONOS) that works over WiFi. I also have 20 tablets that my clients use for keeping track of their progress/exercises. They are mostly accessing Google Sheets, so not overly bandwidth hungry, but there are 20 of them, so a lot of radios running at once.

I also have a Vagaro system which needs LAN access in the new studio. I thought I could buy an inexpensive WiFi router to connect via WiFi to the Comcast box for internet access, and use the LAN ports for the Vagaro components which need the ethernet connectivity. Now I'm not sure if that will work.

What I'd ideally like to do is have my clients on a separate WiFi than my own infrastructure (computers, staff phones, speaker system) because occasionally the speakers lose connectivity when there is too much demand on the WiFi.

Any suggestions on how I should accomplish this? I purchased an #AC1000 WiFi router (model R6080) but I'm not sure if this will do the trick. Thoughts

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: What Product?

What I'd do? Stop using consumer gear in a business environment. Its a good recipe to get your business in trouble if someone is on the same network you're running your business transactions through and gets all your clients data/financials. 

1. run a hardwired connection between Studio #1 and Studio #2. This is going to be a smart investment. 

2. pick up a business-grade setup. either going insight managed or Orbi pro. 

You'd switch the xfinity router into modem-only mode and connect the Orbi (probably the easiest method for you) to it. The Orbi pro's have the option of vlan/guest networks. You'd have the primary router in studio #1 and a satellite in business #2. The wired backhaul is the best option, but they do function off a wireless backhaul if you can't hardwire it in. 

That option keeps your guests off the primary network on which you're running business devices. Setup the guest on a different network isolated from the primary network. 

How do I create, configure, and assign VLANs on my Orbi Pro WiFi 6? - NETGEAR Support

While it's a bit more of a buy-in cost, the separation is worth the investment versus getting your business compromised by someone on the same network. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

You seem to be trying to get domestic grade kit to operate in a business environment with rather a lot going on.

Netgear has a whole range of business devices that might meet our needs out of the box.

I can't seen any bit on your message that tells us what you are looking for. You want something to provide wifi somewhere in this setup? Where would it come from?

@DoBetter wrote:

Any suggestions on how I should accomplish this? I purchased an #AC1000 WiFi router (model R6080) but I'm not sure if this will do the trick. Thoughts

That's pretty well the least capable and cheapest router in Netgear's range. According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

I am surprised that Netgear even launched something that low spec in 2017, nearly a decade after it launched its first 1000BASE-TX routers.

Message 2 of 5
DoBetter
Aspirant

I'm open to suggestions. To be honest, I didn't notice the ethernet ports were only 10/100 when I bought it, assuming (incorrectly) that nobody did anything slower than GigE anymore...

Message 3 of 5

@DoBetter wrote:

To be honest, I didn't notice the ethernet ports were only 10/100 when I bought it, assuming (incorrectly) that nobody did anything slower than GigE anymore...

To me, that is a perfectly legitimate assumption. Heaven only knows how that thing escaped.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

What I'd do? Stop using consumer gear in a business environment. Its a good recipe to get your business in trouble if someone is on the same network you're running your business transactions through and gets all your clients data/financials. 

1. run a hardwired connection between Studio #1 and Studio #2. This is going to be a smart investment. 

2. pick up a business-grade setup. either going insight managed or Orbi pro. 

You'd switch the xfinity router into modem-only mode and connect the Orbi (probably the easiest method for you) to it. The Orbi pro's have the option of vlan/guest networks. You'd have the primary router in studio #1 and a satellite in business #2. The wired backhaul is the best option, but they do function off a wireless backhaul if you can't hardwire it in. 

That option keeps your guests off the primary network on which you're running business devices. Setup the guest on a different network isolated from the primary network. 

How do I create, configure, and assign VLANs on my Orbi Pro WiFi 6? - NETGEAR Support

While it's a bit more of a buy-in cost, the separation is worth the investment versus getting your business compromised by someone on the same network. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7