× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is my IP for IP cam?

billsea
Tutor

What is my IP for IP cam?

I have just switched from WNR1000 to R6300 router.  My IP cam worked fine with the old router, but I can not connect to the IP cam remotely with the new R6300 router.  I can connect to the IP cam if I am on the same network.   When I set up the new 6300 I used all of the old Genie settings including port forwarding and upnp.  I don't know why I can't connect to IP cam.  I did notice that in the old router the  Genie>advanced>internet port showed an IP address that represented my real internet IP (ie. 75.68 xx.xx).  In the Genie setting for the new router the IP address is shows as 10.0.0.2.  I suspect that this is the problem.  How can I get the router IP address changed?  Could there be another problem?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
billsea
Tutor

Re: What is my IP for IP cam?

OK it is working.  I have a Comcast modem with a built in router.  I had the router bridged to get the IP cam to work with the old router.  I had to call Comcast to do that.  Now that I have a new router I did not know that I had to call Comcast again to bridge to the new router.  I called them and they performed the bridge to the new router and everything is good.  

Thanks for all  your help.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Copy the WAN MAC Address from WNR1000 and enter it in r6300........ setup...Internet setup...use this MAC

Message 2 of 6
billsea
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, but still no joy.  

On advanced>set-up>internet set-up I changed several things.  I tried - use default, then use computer mac address, then use this mac address with 1. old wnr100 mac, 2. new r6300 mac, then IP cam mac.  Nothing allowed me to remotely access the IP cam.  And, in every case the internet port IP address remained 10.0.0.2.  

Any other ideas?  I would appreciate the help.

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

did you reboot modem after changing MAC?    make and model of your modem 

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

How is your Internet service delivered?  Some ISPs modems have a built in router which you have to bypass in order for your router to obtain the public IP address.  Your old router had a public IP address, but the address didn't transfer over to the new router.  Without a public IP address, the new router will not be remotely accessible.  Hence, your IP cameras will be inaccessible. 

You need to repeat the steps you performed to assign the public IP address to your new router.  If you have AT&T U-verse, then I can point you to an article to do this.

Once you get the public IP address resolved, then you can set up port forwarding.  It's recommended that you set up an IP address reservation for your IP camera to prevent the port forwarding rule from breaking.

Message 5 of 6
billsea
Tutor

OK it is working.  I have a Comcast modem with a built in router.  I had the router bridged to get the IP cam to work with the old router.  I had to call Comcast to do that.  Now that I have a new router I did not know that I had to call Comcast again to bridge to the new router.  I called them and they performed the bridge to the new router and everything is good.  

Thanks for all  your help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7