× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Model easily allows me to turn Wifi On and Off?

finalewiz
Follower

Which Model easily allows me to turn Wifi On and Off?

Did you find a satisfactory solution?  I also want to intermittently switch WiFi on and off.  The only way I can on my R6080 is through the browser, and it's a multistep process.  I want it simple!

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Which Model easily allows me to turn Wifi On and Off?

@finalewiz wrote:

The only way I can on my R6080 is through the browser, and it's a multistep process.  I want it simple!

There's a switch on the top of most Netgear routers.

The R6080 also supports the Nighthawk app for Android and iOS mobiles, which may be quicker than the browser.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The R6080 is pretty well Netgear's cheapest router.

It dates back to 2017 and lacks many features, including that switch. It is also very low specification, especially on the Ethernet front.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Which Model easily allows me to turn Wifi On and Off?

@finalewiz wrote:

The only way I can on my R6080 is through the browser, and it's a multistep process.  I want it simple!

There's a switch on the top of most Netgear routers.

The R6080 also supports the Nighthawk app for Android and iOS mobiles, which may be quicker than the browser.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The R6080 is pretty well Netgear's cheapest router.

It dates back to 2017 and lacks many features, including that switch. It is also very low specification, especially on the Ethernet front.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7