× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Lights Blinking Pattern

Mystified
Aspirant

WiFi Lights Blinking Pattern

Been having WiFi Connect/Disconnect issues over the last few weeks. After recycling power, everything is fine for a random period of time in days. This happens on 2G and 5G.

Saved image, reset to factory and reloaded image, seemed okay for about a week, then the same issues.

Reset to factory and MANUALLY setup router again (port forwards etc.) Did NOT use the same SSID, again after some period of time the same ugly bear.

Wired is 100%.

Checked for firmware updates, even though I can't believe that to be the issue, but did so anyway and I have the most current flavor.

Today, I noticed that the WiFi lights are blinking rapidly and in unison 4 or 5 times then go off for about half a second. This is repeating and has been for about an hour.

Again, wired is fine, any ideas?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Mystified
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply. I wanted to wait and verify/confirm that it was indeed fixed.

At this point, everything is fine, have not lost any WiFI connections, the lights are displaying the same as my other Netgear R6350 which is physically right next door.

It seems it was the power brick; fortunately I had many other power bricks and managed to find one with the exact same electrical specs and checked the power connecter that goes into the router with my electronic caliper, the OD was .005 millimeters smaller, but fits tight and doesn't wiggle.

Will get a new one this week.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies

@Mystified wrote:

Today, I noticed that the WiFi lights are blinking rapidly and in unison 4 or 5 times then go off for about half a second. This is repeating and has been for about an hour.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Troubleshoot With the LEDs.

In general,  other than the patterns explained there, the LEDs and the pattern their behaviour are no use in diagnosing problems.

Blinking wifi LEDS just mean traffic.

@Mystified wrote:

Been having WiFi Connect/Disconnect issues over the last few weeks. After recycling power, everything is fine for a random period of time in days. This happens on 2G and 5G.

Start by trouble shooting that. Forget about the blinking LEDs.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that sits between this router and the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 11
Mystified
Aspirant

Really???

Regardless of the firmware, the point is it's NEVER done this before.

Model: 

R6230 — AC1200

To re-iterate: WiFi leds are blinking rapidly and in UNISON 4 or 5 times then go off for about half a second. NOT any kind of "normal" wifi blinking. In fact, this particular model's WiFI leds are on solid during normal operation.

To put it a different way:

Both Lights flash on/off at the same time (not independently, the same way as your eyelids blink - at the same time) for a count of 4 times, then off, then repeat. Now the pattern has changed: Both Light Blink on/off (in UNISON) 4 times, then solid for /12 second and then repeats.

This is NOT normal WiFi traffic or a connection indicator. On this particular Netgear router, WiFi lights are on solid, they do not blink even when there is traffic.

I logged into the router, disabled 2G, rebooted and the 5G led does the same thing: flash on/off for a count of 4 times, then off for about 1/2 second and repeats...

Reversed the above step with 5 G (i.e., killed it) re-enabled 2G, the same result!

As for reading the manual - every router manual that I have ever read, will not indicate the pattern that I have specified. That said, we did check the manual and the LED blinking pattern mentioned in this post is not mentioned.

Gateway has zero to do with WiFi lights blinking, but to fill in that blank, it's a Bridged Cable Modem, no AOI or double nat - even tho that has nothing to do with it as well.

We have another router attached to port 2 of 4 on the the cable modem and he works fine, i.e., his wifi lights are on solid, as they should be to indicate WiFI capabilities. No channel conflicts either.

Message 3 of 11
Mystified
Aspirant

FIXED!!!

Message 4 of 11

@Mystified wrote:

FIXED!!!

How? For the benefit of others in the same boat, it helps to tell them what you did. When you have done that you could also mark the solution as SOLVED.

Message 5 of 11

@Mystified wrote:

Really???

Regardless of the firmware, the point is it's NEVER done this before.

Model: 

R6230 — AC1200

I asked about the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT, not your router.

Gateway has zero to do with WiFi lights blinking, but to fill in that blank, it's a Bridged Cable Modem, no AOI or double nat - even tho that has nothing to do with it as well.

A lot of people turn up here believing that, sometimes wrongly. Too many have a modem/router that won't allow a true modem-only mode. Asking for that information it is a standard question when troubleshooting, which depends on having as much knowledge as possible about the troublesome network.

We have another router attached to port 2 of 4 on the the cable modem and he works fine, i.e., his wifi lights are on solid, as they should be to indicate WiFI capabilities. No channel conflicts either.

Looks like trouble waiting to happen. A modem with four LAN ports is a modem router as likely as not. Connecting two routers breaks thing. Few ISPs let you bung two routers on to the WAN IP address.

But I get the feeling that you are doing fancy things and aren't prepared to provide the sort of info needed to troubleshoot. That's your prerogative, but you can't expect to get very far.

Message 6 of 11
Mystified
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply. I wanted to wait and verify/confirm that it was indeed fixed.

At this point, everything is fine, have not lost any WiFI connections, the lights are displaying the same as my other Netgear R6350 which is physically right next door.

It seems it was the power brick; fortunately I had many other power bricks and managed to find one with the exact same electrical specs and checked the power connecter that goes into the router with my electronic caliper, the OD was .005 millimeters smaller, but fits tight and doesn't wiggle.

Message 7 of 11

@Mystified wrote:

It seems it was the brick..

Brick? Is that another unknown unknown that you haven't told us about?

Message 8 of 11
Mystified
Aspirant

No "fancy" things.

ISP Cable Modem -> Wan port on Netgear R6350, LAN ports on Netgear R6350 -> switch, WiFI devices connect. Been like this for years.

As I said - bridged modem. There is no routing/nat at all on the Cable Modem.

In any case, the problem seems to have been resolved.

Message 9 of 11

@Mystified wrote:

As I said - bridged modem. There is no routing/nat at all on the Cable Modem.

We'll have to take your word for that. One of many gaps in the details that you have provided.

You wouldn't be the first one to run up here confidently making that claim only to be shown to be wrong further down the road.

Message 10 of 11

@Mystified wrote:

Generic adapters should do the trick. Netgear seems reluctant to sell replacements, and doesn't help by keeping quiet about tip dimensions.

Tips can be a beast. Some adapters get around that by supplying a multi-tip option.

Generic adapterGeneric adapter

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7