× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will there be a problem connecting old router (wndr3700) to a newer cm2000 modem

jdgra
Aspirant

Will there be a problem connecting old router (wndr3700) to a newer cm2000 modem

I have a newer modem cm2000 can I use a older router wndr3700, with out any problems 

Message 1 of 5

Re: Will there be a problem connecting old router (wndr3700) to a newer cm2000 modem

@jdgra wrote:

I have a newer modem cm2000 can I use a older router wndr3700, with out any problems 

No, but you may lose a lot of performance.

The original WNDR3700 came out in 2009.

Message 2 of 5
jdgra
Aspirant

Re: Will there be a problem connecting old router (wndr3700) to a newer cm2000 modem

I recently purchased netgear modem CM2000 had a problem with set up through comcast

finally got it working 900 to1000 mbps through the direct cat 5 connection to desk top. connected my old router WNDR3700 works great on all  4 lan hooks ups. Problem with 

the wireless, vary weak.did I miss a setting or is the router just too old, and what router 

would be adequate

Message 3 of 5

@jdgra wrote:

Problem with 

the wireless, vary weak.did I miss a setting or is the router just too old, and what router 

would be adequate

Hard to diagnose without more details on the WiFi and what you are doing. What does very weak mean? Slow, I can understand, but not weak.

The WiFi range of the WNDR3700 won't be up to much, and it won't support as many clients as newer routers.

Then there are the possible security challenges on a device that may not have had a firmware update in some years and won't support newer WiFi security protocols.

If you have an Internet service at 1000 Mbps, that router just won't give you the best performance possible, network technology has come a long way since 2010.

The CM2000 should do a good job with a better router.

I don't want to scare you, but I wouldn't even give that router to anyone who wasn't an enemy.

As to an alternative router, start here:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Try plugging your needs into the filters.

Netgear isn't the only option, but you will be familiar with how it works and it could be easier to get it to work with your modem.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can use that router/modem combination. 

But like @michaelkenward says, you're loosing a lot of performance with that router. 

Its ancient and not going to have the greatest wifi (or wired) capability. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7