× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless router setup without modem

mtdial
Follower

Wireless router setup without modem

Question regarding the N600 (WNDR3400) wireless dual band router. We are full time Rvers and have no modem. We utilize only wireless networks such as campground signals and personal hotspots. Without a access to a modem can the N600 be set up as a repeater or have I gotten the wrong device for our application. We do have an external antenna and booster for signal strength. Thanks,.

Model: WNDR3400v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Wireless router setup without modem

The WNDR3400 can serve as a repeater, but only the main network has security turned off.  

A router that supports WISP operation (able to use WiFi as an "internet port") might be better suited to what you have in mind.  

Many travel routers support WISP.  I use a TP-Link TL-WR802N for this myself when I travel (Netgear doesn't have an equivalent).  https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR802N-Wireless-Repeater-300Mbps/dp/B00TQEX8BO/

It is very small, can be powered by any USB charger, and is pretty easy to connect to a new WiFi network.  

And since it is a NAT router, it will isolate your devices from other folks using the same campground/hotspot.

It can also be configured as a repeater if you want that, but I find the two router modes to be most useful (ethernet internet port and WISP)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Wireless router setup without modem

The WNDR3400 can serve as a repeater, but only the main network has security turned off.  

A router that supports WISP operation (able to use WiFi as an "internet port") might be better suited to what you have in mind.  

Many travel routers support WISP.  I use a TP-Link TL-WR802N for this myself when I travel (Netgear doesn't have an equivalent).  https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR802N-Wireless-Repeater-300Mbps/dp/B00TQEX8BO/

It is very small, can be powered by any USB charger, and is pretty easy to connect to a new WiFi network.  

And since it is a NAT router, it will isolate your devices from other folks using the same campground/hotspot.

It can also be configured as a repeater if you want that, but I find the two router modes to be most useful (ethernet internet port and WISP)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7