× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: firmware

dsteelman
Aspirant

firmware

I have a Netgear 6220 router. I have Netgear Genie on my desktop and I have Nighthawk on my phone. I've done firmware updates before, but I can't get the latest update for this router to work. Using Genie, I get a "failed to get firmware version" message and the update doesn't work. I've downloaded the firmware update (V1.0 112) to do the update manually, but for some reason the downloaded zip file won't unzip/extract. So when I get to the step in manual updating to upload the file I can't...all I have is a zip file. Help appreciated.... 

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

The Genie app is no longer being developed on so it's usefulness is being phased out. So Genie may or may not work well. 

For doing any FW updates, the use of a wired PC and web browser is recommended and preferred. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try a different browser, Firefox or Opera.

Download the file again using a different browser. 

Be sure to extract the .zip file after downloading it. Just extract the .zip file. Do not attempt to use the extracted files or open them. 

If you can get the files extracted, use the web browser to send the extracted FW file to the router using the routers built in FW update web page. https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 6
dsteelman
Aspirant

That worked.....Thank you so much. Any explanation or link to an explanation about why switching browsers was necessary?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The Genie app is no longer being developed on so it's usefulness is being phased out. So Genie may or may not work well. 

For doing any FW updates, the use of a wired PC and web browser is recommended and preferred. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 6
dsteelman
Aspirant

Got it. Thanks again for the help. All backed up and ready to roll.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements