× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

fishy email

swharrell
Follower

fishy email

Just received this email...looks fishy. Discussion in July 2016 on this subject was "solved"...is this email legit or not?

Security Vulnerability: VU#582384

The Vulnerability:
NETGEAR is aware of the security issue #582384 that puts a network at risk by allowing for unauthenticated web pages to pass the command-line interface leaving open the potential for arbitrary command execution by remote attack.

What You Can Do:
NETGEAR strongly recommends that all users download the production version of the firmware release to automatically install the R7000 firmware, follow these instructions.
(To manually update your firmware please follow these instructions)

What We Are Doing:
We appreciate and value having security concerns brought to our attention. NETGEAR constantly monitors for both known and unknown threats. Being pro-active rather than re-active to emerging security issues is fundamental for product support at NETGEAR. It is NETGEAR's mission to be the innovative leader in connecting the world to the internet. To achieve this mission, we strive to earn and maintain the trust of those that use NETGEAR products for their connectivity.

View our Security Advisory page for the latest releases.
We appreciate you being a part of our efforts in creating a more secure world.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions

Re: fishy email

Nothing fishy about it, although that is a natural response. Just Netgear keeping customers informed:

Solved: Two leading Netgear routers are vulnerable to a se... - NETGEAR Communities

There's plenty more where that came from.

Did you follow the links in the email you received?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies

Nothing fishy about it, although that is a natural response. Just Netgear keeping customers informed:

Solved: Two leading Netgear routers are vulnerable to a se... - NETGEAR Communities

There's plenty more where that came from.

Did you follow the links in the email you received?

Message 2 of 10
Fred__
Aspirant

When try downloading the firmware update I get a pop up box that says "all wireless connections will be terminated". Is this a normal request; is it permenent?

Nighthawk AC1900

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 10

Downloading from where? Using a hard (wired) connection or a wifi link?

If you are saving the file locally, then when you upload the firmware flash it will close your internet connection and reboot the modem/router. The wifi will come back on then.

Message 4 of 10
Fred__
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Downnloading from Netgear website and using a hardwire connection as recommended. 

Yes, I saved the file to my hard drive; so it sounds like if I continue with the download the terminations will not be permenent? 

Thanks again. 

Message 5 of 10

@Fred__ wrote:
Yes, I saved the file to my hard drive; so it sounds like if I continue with the download the terminations will not be permenent? 

The update process will turn off everything, including the wifi and the modem/router itself, while it write the new firmware into the memory.

When it restarts, everything should come back to life again.

Message 6 of 10
Fred__
Aspirant

Ok, I'll give it a try. Thank you very much for the info. 

Message 7 of 10

Good luck!

Just a thought, but if you haven't ever upgraded the firmware for your device, you may find yourself catching up with earlier updates.

The latest update is really just a security tweak, and most people seem to have got by without doing that. But if you are jumping several steps. then you may also get some more substantial updates. New features even.

In that case, you may have to go through the faff of resetting your device to the factory settings.

If everything seems to be OK after the flash, great. But if you experience problems, don't panic. Read the bit in the manual about resetting to factory defaults.

Message 8 of 10
rich-black
Aspirant

I use a chromebook.  It's the cloud, so it doesn't get viruses (malware only).  Should this breach concern me?

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@rich-black wrote:

I use a chromebook.  It's the cloud, so it doesn't get viruses (malware only).  Should this breach concern me?

Yes.  

Lots of bad things can happen if your router is compromised.  For instance reroute your browser request to go to your bank website to go to a different site that looks identical.  Then steal your account credentials.  

Just one of many, many possibilities.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7