× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

intermittent IPv6 on R6100 router

intermittent IPv6 on R6100 router

I'm running V1.0.1.10 firmware. My ISP is Comcast, and they have IPv6 to my modem. I have both an Ethernet and Wifi connection to my router from my MacBook Pro which is running 10.12.1 OSX. I use my own Arris modem to the Netgear router to my laptop. I can see whether I have IPv6 by running the Xfinity speed test. If it's there, that shows results for both IPv4 and IPv6. Occasionally, I get IPv6 but mostly I only get a result for IPv4. Sometimes, if I go into the IPv6 settings on my router and click Apply, I'll get IPv6 on the speed test site, though I just tried it again and I didn't. I have Qos turned off because I noticed that I was getting very slow download speeds when it was turned on. IPv6 was just a curiosity for me until Teamviewer 12 apparently requires it. I'm pretty sure that this is an issue with the router because when I bring my laptop to my mom's apartment (with the Xfinity Arris modem/router they rent to customers), the speed test site always does both IPv4 and IPv6. However, that is using only a wifi connection. I suppose I could test that by disabling the Ethernet or wifi to see what behavior I got with IPv6. I would like to have IPv6 available all the time. Any suggestions on changes to settings or configuration would be appreciated.

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: intermittent IPv6 on R6100 router

OK. Using the Xfinity speed test, I generally have two choices (San Jose and Santa Clara). It appears that only San Jose works for IPv6. So, I do not appear to have a problem.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

I turned off wifi and reran the test. The result was the same, aside from a slightly slower ping and download speed. I unplugged my Ethernet cable and also got the same result, except that with Ethernet I get about 30 megs download and with wifi only, I get about 24 megs download, which is why I use both. So, I doubt that using both Ethernet and wifi is the problem. I suppose it's possible that the Arris modem is at fault, but it seems more likely that it's the Netgear router, particularly since I have seen other people who can't get IPv6 to work on an R6100. I would have bought an integrated modem/router, but Comcast would not allow me to use one unless I rented it from them. There are only three settings on the IPv6 advanced setup screen. I'm using Auto Config with IPv6 Filtering Secured. I tried using DHCP, but that did not enable IPv6. The screen also shows the router's IPv6 address on the WAN, which may confirm that the modem is, indeed, supplying IPv6 to the router. The connection type is DHCP, which is why I tried switching to DHCP. Internet Connection Type is set to Auto Detect. On my Mac, IPv6 is set to configure automatically, and the IPv6 address of the router is shown. I'll look for another page to test IPv6 since the Comcast page may also be the issue.

Message 2 of 4

I ran a test on Comcast's speed test site. It says it is IPv6 ready, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility that it is failing to run the IPv6 test. I also tested my IPv6 connectivity, and this site says everything is fine.

Test your IPv6 connectivity.

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be XXXXed out

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be XXXXed out

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be COMCAST-7922 - Comcast Cable Communications, LLC, US

Since you have IPv6, we are including a tab that shows how well you can reach other IPv6 sites. [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness score
10/10for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
Message 3 of 4

OK. Using the Xfinity speed test, I generally have two choices (San Jose and Santa Clara). It appears that only San Jose works for IPv6. So, I do not appear to have a problem.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7