× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: problem connecting with sony bravia tv

neishah
Aspirant

problem connecting with sony bravia tv

I have tried everything.  The t.v. has a USB adaptor, which the t.v. recognises.  However, the LAN and WAN are always on "fail" and

the t.v. settings are always on ip address starting with 169.... which is know means it is not connecting.   I have tried everything, unplugging, rebotting, doing manual settings in the setup of the t.v.     Router is at one end of the house, and t.v. at other end, but I have no trouble

getting internet access on my laptop or phone.   

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
neishah
Aspirant

Thank you so much to all who contributed assistance for my internet issue.

I got so fed up with it all, I went out and purchased a wifi extender............. I now have internet t.v.!!   with 5 bars!!

The t.v. obviously didn't like the distance from the router.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 21

All Replies
neishah
Aspirant

router is Netgear D6200

Message 2 of 21

How are you trying to connect the TV to the network?

wifi? LAN?

Message 3 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

wireless, via USB adaptor for the Sony Bravia.   Cannot connect via ethernet, as router is at one end of house, and tv at other end, hence why I need a wireless connection.

Message 4 of 21

I suspect that you'll have to find a Bravia community to help with that. Setting up those wifi dongles can be a beast. It isn't always that easy to connect devices with native wifi, let alone with a dongle.

Does the Bravia offer WPS as an option for creating wifi connections?

Does the Bravia have any other network options? I use powerline plugs to "hard wire" my smart Samsung BluRay player to the router.

Powerline is more reliable than wifi, especially if you are trying to connect something that is some distance from the router.

Message 5 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

I have tried WPS and no joy with that either.   Not sure what Powerline is??   I have only just purchased the D6200 and it was quite expensive, so I was not expecting to have this issue with a Smart t.v.    I have searched through Sony Bravia forums, and googled for answers but I have tried everything they suggested there.      I have emailed Netgear support, in the hope they can shed some light on the problem.

Message 6 of 21

Powerline carries the internet from you router to the TV over the mains.

Put plug next to router and another one by the TV. Connect router to first plug and TV to second plug.

You then have a faster and more reliable connection than wifi.

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support

By all means hammer away at Netgear, but the number of people using Bravia USB wifi with Netgear kit will be small. The number of people using Bravia USB wifi with all manner of network hardware will be much larger. And this is probably an issue at the Bravia end. Google confirms this. That's why I suggest talking to Bravia owners for a quicker response.

Which TV is this? There's a load of Bravia TVs out there.

You might get better advice if you explained in detail where the problem lies. Is it the TV the throws up its hands or the router?

This bit doesn't make much sense to me:

the LAN and WAN are always on "fail"

What does on "fail" mean?

Message 7 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you purchase the USB adapter model number listed in the manual? You can use any access point and plug it into the TV LAN port 

Message 8 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

This is what comes up when I try to connect the tv:

Wireless Device on the TV    -  Found

Local Access    -  Failed

Internet Access - Failed

then when I look at the ip settings on the tv, the ip address. is always    169:254:83:134, which I know is incorrect.  I have input

the correct isp settings according to cmd: ipconfig, but still no luck connecting.

Message 9 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

regarding the USB adaptor, yes I am using the correct one, in fact the ONLY one you can use on Sony Bravia tv's.  Not sure what you

mean by this:     "You can use any access point and plug it into the TV LAN port" 

Message 10 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

use IP of 192.168.1.99

default Gateway 192.168.1.1

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4468240&CatId=372

Message 11 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

Thank you, but that made no difference.    I really appreciate everyone's assistance for this problem, it is doing my head in!     I bought the D6200 as an upgrade from the 2200, thinking it would do a better job, so I don't want to have to spend more money on this issue if I can help it.

Message 12 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

what security settings are you using for WIFI

Message 13 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

I am using this:  WPA2-PSK [AES].    I have tried changing the security settings, even using "none" at one stage.

Message 14 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

verify you have wifi signal in room where TV is located

tv model #

USB adapter model #

WIFI router settings 2.4 & 5g 

Message 15 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

yes have wifi signal in the room where tv is located, as I can use my laptop and mobile.

T.V. Model    KDL 40EX650

USB Adaptor  Sony UWA BR100

IMAG0233.jpg

Message 16 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

Thank you so much to all who contributed assistance for my internet issue.

I got so fed up with it all, I went out and purchased a wifi extender............. I now have internet t.v.!!   with 5 bars!!

The t.v. obviously didn't like the distance from the router.

Have a nice day!

Message 17 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Great news,

I meant to correct an earlier post regarding AP. A wireless bridge could also be used It receives or connects to your router and uses a data cable to connect devices which do not support WIFI. It can be located in a location with good signal and then run a cable to the device.

Extenders or repeaters can be a pain in the a$$ when streaming video.

just a thought

Message 18 of 21

@searay wrote:

Extenders or repeaters can be a pain in the a$$ when streaming video.

Which is one reason why I usually suggest the simpler, and sometimes cheaper, Powerline alternative.

I have fought with wifi on smart devices and it stinks.

It is a pity that Powerline is still relatively unknown, and that earlier implementations put off many people.

Message 19 of 21
neishah
Aspirant

I am using a Netgear Dual Band WiFi extender, it has been working like a dream.   I binged on Netflix last night!

Message 20 of 21

@neishah wrote:

I binged on Netflix last night!

You can get treatment for that!

Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7