× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

weybrew

weybrew
Aspirant

weybrew

RE: cabel modem model CMD31T  239448W000E6D  Windows 10 x64   How can I get a Netgear tech rep to remote scan my modem to verify its status of current firmware and if an update is recommended. Spectrum provider. Only basic usage needed, i.e. no gaming, no multiple devices (only 2 PCs).

Model: CMD31T|Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: cable modem model CMD31T

If everythings working to your satisfaction and your not looking to upgrade speed, then I'd leave it. 

If you're needing more speed or a dual band router, then I'd look at updating. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: weybrew

@weybrew wrote:

RE: cabel modem model CMD31T  239448W000E6D  Windows 10 x64   How can I get a Netgear tech rep to remote scan my modem to verify its status of current firmware and if an update is recommended. Spectrum provider. Only basic usage needed, i.e. no gaming, no multiple devices (only 2 PCs).

You'd have to pay more than the device is worth to have netgear/gearhead do that. 

Its an older modem/router from 2011 with single band wireless n. 

If you connect it to spectrum and it works and meets your needs, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it doesn't, it'd probably be cheaper (and better investment) to buy one that has some better capabilities. 

Message 2 of 9
weybrew
Aspirant

weybrew

Thanks, plemans, for this information. Which model/brand modem would you suggest? Just need a basic model, budget priced.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: weybrew

Does it work and provide the speeds you pay for? 

If it doesn't then look at compatible models for your isp and speed requirements. 

Some isp's even provide a free modem/router combo device. If they charge for one, its worth buying one. But if its free and you just need a basic device, that might be a decent option. 

What speeds are you paying for? 

What size home are you trying to cover? 

do you streaming video? 

Message 4 of 9
weybrew
Aspirant

cable modem model CMD31T

I'm on an old Time Warner (Spectrum) plan with a speed of 50 mb, my router covers my small home via ethernet cable, and my streaming is via ROKU/wifi.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

If everythings working to your satisfaction and your not looking to upgrade speed, then I'd leave it. 

If you're needing more speed or a dual band router, then I'd look at updating. 

Message 6 of 9

Remember, whichever cable modem you own, there is nothing that the maker can do to change its firmware. That is down to the ISP.

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

This is one reason why many users prefer having a separate standalone modem that they can use with a router of their choice.

Message 7 of 9
weybrew
Aspirant

weybrew

I agree, and thanks for your comments.

Message 8 of 9
weybrew
Aspirant

weybrew

Thanks, michaelkenward. I've got it!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors