× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 wifi adapter will not work

Frustrated7User
Aspirant

A6210 wifi adapter will not work

Bought this thing because I have a desktop and need to use it with hotel wifi. I was told this solves the problem.

First of all, the instructions are ridiculous, providing two options and no elucidation of why I would choose which one or not. So I started with the easier one, standalone. Didn't work. Then tried the other one. Didn't work. Does not find the strong wifi signal my laptop finds sitting right next to it. WTF.

Then I try to get help on this site. Read questions like the same one I first had - which method. No good answers. So I try to get support. But I have to register first. But it won't work. I tried 3 times, "not available at this time." I turned off my adblocker. Still won't work.

On my computer, I'm using a 3.0 usb that is reliable, that I used earlier today. Didn't work. There is no explanation of where the problem is or what to do. I did all the Windows troubleshooting (I am running Windows 7 server, so it should work as Win7 is the minimum requirement.) and no wifi networks are found. No lights, no beeps, no booting. I pressed the button on the unit - btw, this is not even mentioned in the worthless, cryptic, incomplete pamphlet that came with the thing.

Gonna have to take it back to the store, since support here is nonexistent. If they can't get it working, I'll get my money back. But I am supremely cheesed off. I have been running different peripherals and installing software since 1993, and I have never had a problem like this one.

Message 1 of 4

Re: A6210 wifi adapter will not work

@Frustrated7User wrote:

First of all, the instructions are ridiculous, providing two options and no elucidation of why I would choose which one or not. So I started with the easier one, standalone. Didn't work. Then tried the other one. Didn't work. Does not find the strong wifi signal my laptop finds sitting right next to it. WTF.

They could be clearer.

This is what the manual says:

• The standalone driver allows you to use your computer’s built-in Windows WiFi
    network settings to connect the adapter to a WiFi network instead of using the
    adapter software.
  • The adapter software allows you to connect the adapter to a WiFi network.

The standalone driver has the benefit of not loading Netgear's software interface.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

On my computer, I'm using a 3.0 usb that is reliable, that I used earlier today. Didn't work. There is no explanation of where the problem is or what to do. I did all the Windows troubleshooting (I am running Windows 7 server, so it should work as Win7 is the minimum requirement.) and no wifi networks are found. No lights, no beeps, no booting. I pressed the button on the unit - btw, this is not even mentioned in the worthless, cryptic, incomplete pamphlet that came with the thing.

Most of the problems with these things track back to Windows. Unfortunately, your version is now obsolete according to Microsoft. So it isn't easy to diagnose where things might go wrong.

Message 2 of 4
Frustrated7User
Aspirant

Funny that it's "obsolete" when I get updates from Microsoft every single day.

Message 3 of 4

@Frustrated7User wrote:

Funny that it's "obsolete" when I get updates from Microsoft every single day.

Microsoft stopped sending updates for Windows 7 and below quite some time ago. And yet people still turn up here seeking help with it.

I still regret the day when WordPerect died.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7