× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adapter keeps connecting me to other routers

Erik_Kun
Aspirant

Adapter keeps connecting me to other routers

I need help with my wifi adapter, specifically the software.

So everything works fine after I connect to my router.  But every time I reboot my computer it automatically connects me to my neighbor's, which is unprotected apparently.  Can I make it so the genie connects to my router by default?  It's a bit tedious having to manually connect each time I turn my computer on.  I couldn't find any settings for this on the genie, I'd appreciate any help.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Adapter keeps connecting me to other routers

Take a look at this thread, post 5 https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters-Legacy/How-do-I-optimize-a-wnda3100v2-and-a-wndr3400v...

You will see parameters that you can adjust that should enable you to stop the adaptor connecting to networks which you don’t want. I’m not sure which one it is you need, but look at ‘association roam preference’, ‘roam tendency’, and ‘roaming decision’.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What is the model number of your adapter please?

Message 2 of 10
Erik_Kun
Aspirant

It's WNDA3100 v2.

Message 3 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Take a look at this thread, post 5 https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters-Legacy/How-do-I-optimize-a-wnda3100v2-and-a-wndr3400v...

You will see parameters that you can adjust that should enable you to stop the adaptor connecting to networks which you don’t want. I’m not sure which one it is you need, but look at ‘association roam preference’, ‘roam tendency’, and ‘roaming decision’.

Message 4 of 10
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Take a look at this thread  NetGear-wnda-3100v2-connections-issues-since-Windows-10.  as I believe you have the same problem.

Use the "netcfg -s n" to discover what Netgear Adapter may be lurking in your system:), and let us know. (Knowledge is power)
I have been at this problem for several days now and tried absolutely everything.

I am convinced that these leftover bits of software (somewhere) are the root cause.

Oh ... and yes my Adapter had been known to connect to other routers and even what appears to be phone lines! 

Message 5 of 10
Erik_Kun
Aspirant

Tweaking those settings finally solved the problem although it took a while trying different combinations.  I really think there should be simplified settings in the software itself, like deleting networks you don't want, etc.  Anyway thanks a lot for the help.

Message 6 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’m at work and can’t easily check, but all adaptors should have an option to ‘forget’ a network, doesn’t the WNDA3100 allow this?

I think the Windows OS itself should have the option to not automatically connect to unsecured networks. I’m not sure which OS you have but this may also be worth considering;

http://www.redmondpie.com/disable-wi-fi-sense-password-sharing-in-windows-10-heres-how/

Message 7 of 10
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Erik_Kun

RE:-Tweaking those settings finally solved the problem although it took a while trying different combinations.  I really think there should be simplified settings in the software itself, like deleting networks you don't want, etc.  Anyway thanks a lot for the help.

I am pleased that you have managed to solve your particular problem.... I don't suppose you could share the settings with the rest of us?

Message 8 of 10
Erik_Kun
Aspirant

No, the software for the WNDA3100 doesn't allow that.  There aren't really any options you can change on there at all.  There is no settings tab, you can't right click, etc.

I did try changing this on Windows OS with no success.  I think the settings for that and the adapter are two different things or something.  The only thing that worked was going into the device manager for the adapter.

Message 9 of 10
Erik_Kun
Aspirant

Sure, I don't remember what the defaults were, but I made the Association Roam Preference - Enabled, Roam Tendency - Aggressive, and Roaming Decision - Optimize Distance.

This probably did happen because my neighbor's network is unprotected, and maybe the fact that his internet is superior to my own in xFinity.  What I don't understand is why it continued to connect me to it even after I manually changed it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7