× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 not working, please help

Nhx
Follower
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 not working, please help

I've had this dongle for awhile and it worked fine until 2-3 days ago. I had to reinstall the A7000 windows 1.0.0.15 and the genie will pop up, it shows my WiFi, I put in my WiFi password and the genie says "scanning" then the genie app disappears, I cannot reopen it even when I double click on the shortcut on my desktop, it's just gone and it doesn't connect. I tried it again with the same thing however genie said I was connected (I wasnt) and of course genie disappeared again.

Upon further reading I read genie is no longer supported, I downloaded the app to my phone but it's asking for a netgear router, I don't have one of those. I just use this dongle to connect to my home internet on my personal built PC. I don't understand what's happening, and doesn't this mean if I purchase another nighthawk the same problem will occur? It seems I can't win, will have I have to go elsewhere for another internet dongle? Please help.
Message 1 of 2

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 not working, please help

@Nhx wrote:
I had to reinstall the A7000 windows 1.0.0.15 and the genie will pop up, it shows my WiFi, I put in my WiFi password and the genie says "scanning" then the genie app disappears, I cannot reopen it even when I double click on the shortcut on my desktop, it's just gone and it doesn't connect.

You don't say which version of the adapter software you installed or which version of Windows you have.

The download for the A7000 contains two programs. Talk of the "genie" suggests that you ran the "Windows" version.

I you remove that and install the Windows_Standalone version, the Netgear adapter genie should not pop up. Instead Windows will manage your WiFi connection.

@Nhx wrote:

Upon further reading I read genie is no longer supported, I downloaded the app to my phone but it's asking for a netgear router, I don't have one of those.

I don't know which genie you mean. If it is the desktop genie for Windows, it has nothing to do with your USB adapter.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7