× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Packet loss during simultaneous streaming and downloading a6210 ac wifi adapter and R8000 router

Xelod
Aspirant

Packet loss during simultaneous streaming and downloading a6210 ac wifi adapter and R8000 router

Hi, 

I have 2 a6210 adapters that have the same issue . If for ex, i download a steam game while listening to music or watching a video, steam will keep stopping the download when data loss occurs. Going over the steam client logs there are errors related to data loss.

Meanwhile if i use my refurished linksys ae2500 wireless-n adapter it does not have this issue. I can do as many downloads as i want without packet loss or errors.  

The reason i dont use the refurb adapter anymore is because it overheats and cuts out when used for a long period of time

The router firmware is the latest and the dongle firmware is the latest.  I also have the latest drivers for my pc.

PC specs 

OS

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 30 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (9-10-9-28)
Motherboard
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917) (SOCKET 0) 23 °C
Graphics
ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (ZOTAC International) 26 °C
Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SSD) 26 °C
8383GB Intel Raid 0 Volume (HDD) 26 °C
115GB Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 USB Device (USB)

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Xelod
Aspirant

Re: Packet loss during simultaneous streaming and downloading a6210 ac wifi adapter and R8000 router

Well i have done some more troubleshooting and it would seem the firmware is an issue. 

If i use the mediatek driver for the a6210 (link) the adapter is more stable and no packet loss occurs. Although the download speed is significantly slower, i usually get 10MB/s with the netgear driver but with the mediatek driver i get  3MB/s. 

Also i can only see the 2.4ghz network  not the 5ghz with mediateks driver. 

If i go back to the netgear firmware 1.0.0.32 i get packet/data loss. 

I also forgot to mention in my initial post that if i download on origin the adapter sometimes crashes and crashes the router causing everyone to lose connection.  Of course with my refurb adapter and the mediatek driver i do not get this issue.

I should also mention that i have tested with  another computer with windows 8.1 and i get the same results.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Xelod
Aspirant

Re: Packet loss during simultaneous streaming and downloading a6210 ac wifi adapter and R8000 router

Any more info needed? 

BTW: It does not matter which band 2.4 or 5ghz, I have smart connect on, and dynamic qos on

Message 2 of 3
Xelod
Aspirant

Well i have done some more troubleshooting and it would seem the firmware is an issue. 

If i use the mediatek driver for the a6210 (link) the adapter is more stable and no packet loss occurs. Although the download speed is significantly slower, i usually get 10MB/s with the netgear driver but with the mediatek driver i get  3MB/s. 

Also i can only see the 2.4ghz network  not the 5ghz with mediateks driver. 

If i go back to the netgear firmware 1.0.0.32 i get packet/data loss. 

I also forgot to mention in my initial post that if i download on origin the adapter sometimes crashes and crashes the router causing everyone to lose connection.  Of course with my refurb adapter and the mediatek driver i do not get this issue.

I should also mention that i have tested with  another computer with windows 8.1 and i get the same results.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7