× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Security CONCERN with WNDA3100 Wireless-N Dual Band USB Adapter

3QTRTime
Follower

Security CONCERN with WNDA3100 Wireless-N Dual Band USB Adapter

In visiting my mom (she is 90 years old and in a veterans home) for Mothers Day, I discovered a NETGEAR WNDA3100 plugged into a USB port in the back of her desktop PC. Her Windows PC has perfectly functional wifi capability built in. Is it possible that someone has installed that to connect remotely to a router that is NOT a part of the Veterans Home Network? Can the adapter be used as a path "in to" her computer? I removed it as I could not understand why it would be there!

Model: WNDA3100v2|RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Security CONCERN with WNDA3100 Wireless-N Dual Band USB Adapter

Hi 3QTRTime,

We are not sure as to why the adapter is installed on your mom's computer but the computer will only use one adapter at a time. You can ask people from veterans home to further investigate. One reason could be the adapter is stable than the built in adapter. It could be for performance purposes.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi 3QTRTime,

We are not sure as to why the adapter is installed on your mom's computer but the computer will only use one adapter at a time. You can ask people from veterans home to further investigate. One reason could be the adapter is stable than the built in adapter. It could be for performance purposes.

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Hi 3QTRTime,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7