× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: a8000 and macos

Waahmbo
Star

a8000 and macos

Is there any particular reason that the a8000 (axe 3000 usb wifi adapter)  is listed as not compatible with macos?   I've never ran into an uncompatable wifi adapter yet.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Probably because even the A7000 isn't compatible with the latest versions of mac? Its a couple generations behind on that.

Could be how apple is handling drivers/compatibility. 

Message 2 of 9
Waahmbo
Star

You're probably right.   Apple tends to hide everything from developers until the last minutes before an os release.

Message 3 of 9

@Waahmbo wrote:

I've never ran into an uncompatable wifi adapter yet.

That's odd. Very few Netgear wifi adapters promise Apple compatibility. And those that do are often behind the times and don't work on the latest versions of MacOS.

Message 4 of 9
Dominus
Aspirant

Really not working 😄 Tested by myself. Maybe there is somehow possible to making it work? trying to figure out for now 

Message 5 of 9
beardedGaijin
Aspirant

Anyone have an update on A8000/AXE3000 (wifi6e USB dongle) + OSX? Just picked one up and would rather use it in my Macbook or a rPI instead of standing up a windows machine. 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Right now its only showing windows compatibility. 

You might be able to find out the chipset and see if there's generic drivers for your specific device but you won't find them on the official forums. 

Message 7 of 9

Unfortunately, Netgear seems to be incapable of keeping up with Apple's changes to MacOS. One USB adapter that claims to be compatible has languished for a couple of years since the last Apple update. This has upset quote a lot of punters who have been left high and dry.

Re: A7000 / A6150 M1 / Big Sur Compatibility Updat... - NETGEAR Communities

As @plemans suggests, your best bet is to seek out a generic driver for the adapter's chipset.

Message 8 of 9
JP_Jazzman
Initiate

This is just a PC only wifi dongle with no drivers for the Mac. Mistaken article on Forbes said it was Mac and PC. But it only has PC compatibility. Nothing to do with Mac OS updates. I know because I mistakenly bought one for a 2019 intel MacBook Pro. No Mac drivers in box. No drivers on Website.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7