× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105 stopped 'talking' to Visio smart TV

JustTomR
Aspirant

GS105 stopped 'talking' to Visio smart TV

I have a GS105 that no longer communicates with my Visio smart TV. Model V585x-H1.

My internet ethernet cable was plugged directly into my computer. When I purchased the TV, I also purchased the GS105. I plugged the ethernet cable into the GS105 port1, the computer into port 4, the TV into port 2. All worked fine. Had internet access for both TV and Computer. 

Now the TV will not connect to the internet via the GS105.  Lights on port 2 are off. I switched ports. Computer connects on different ports; TV does not connect on any port. TV will connect when switch is by-passed; internet ethernet cable plugged directly into TV.  It also works when the internet ethernet cable is connected to the cable that leads to the TV. (My first though was that I had a bad cable)

I tried powering down the switch. Did not help.

The TV network screen displays: Wired Connection: Disconnected.   No Network Found.

I do not get any lights on the switch to turn on where the TV ethernet cable is plugged into a port.

Any thoughts about this?  Thanks.

Tom

Model: GS105|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: GS105 stopped 'talking' to Visio smart TV

What is supplying internet? What router are you using?

Message 2 of 15
JustTomR
Aspirant

This is my internet setup:  My internet is supplied by a company called LR Communications.  In my yard I have a 12 - 14 inch satelite type  dish that points to a tower 2 miles away. The system is from Cambium Networks. Signal comes from tower to dish, then dish via Cat 5 cable to AC adapter in house. The AC adapter supplies power to the dish. There is a Cat 5 cable from AC adapter to the GS105 switch.  Previous to having the switch this cable plugged into computer.

I do not have a router. 

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

From the sound of it, only 1 devices will work at a time? 

Might be that the isp is only supplying 1 ip address at a time now. maybe they changed something on their end. 

It might be time to get a router. 

Message 4 of 15
JustTomR
Aspirant

No, I don't think so. I can disconnect my computer from the switch, and the switch will not connect to the TV.  I just did that.

Why a router? Please help me with the need and benefits. All I want is the computer and TV to connect to internet. 

Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

Try contacting your isp. 

If they're only allowing 1 IP address at a time (why rebooting the antenna link might restore the connection) then a router is needed to assign private IP addresses. 

I'd try contacting the isp to see if they changed anything on their back end for this as most users have some type of router controlling their system. 

Message 6 of 15
JustTomR
Aspirant

I could not get ahold of the isp. I'll try later today.

Here is a summary of connections;

Internet input connected directly to TV cable--Connection is OK on TV

Interent input connected directly to Computer cable--Connection is OK on Computer

Internet input connected to GS105 and TV cable connected to GS105--No connection to TV

Internet input connected to GS105 and Computer cable connected to GS105--Connection is OK to computer

Internet input connected to GS105 and both TV cable and computer cable connected to GS105--No connection to TV; Connection to Computer is OK

This tells me that the switch will not communicate with the TV.  The TV can directly communicate with the isp. But not thru the switch.  Therefore I think it is a switch issue.

The TV has a different IP address than the computer.  When the TV successfully connects to the internet, the IP address is displayed on the TV.

Message 7 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Ok, show us these IP address(es) your computer as well as your TV does get assigned. If these are different RFC1918 Address Allocation for Private Internets we have at least some hints.

Message 8 of 15
JustTomR
Aspirant

All of the sudden the darn thing starts to work. I had the interent input connected to my computer cable; the TV cable unplugged from the switch; power was on switch. I did some computer internet work, then plugged internet cable into switch, plugged TV cable into switch (and noticed the left light turned on), then plugged computer cable into switch. Checked TV; have connection. Computer works also. I do not get it ???  I am more confused than before.

IP Address Computer: 199.36.210.142

IP Address TV: 100.64.254.100

Message 9 of 15
schumaku
Guru

This proofs there is no NAT router at your site installation. It looks like the ISP does assign one public routeable IPv4 address (the 199.x.x.x one - hope a moderator will edit your post and remove the complete real address). And further on, it appears that the ISP does also assign one of these RFC 6598 Shared Address Space from the 100.64.x.x/10 subnet - probably this IP subnet is NATed to another public IP address. The second part looks to me more like a fall-back or courtesy service. This could explain the "hit-and-miss" experience you have with the second device, typically the TV.  

Unless there is an issue with the simple switch (it's just a basic L2 device) the trouble or confusion with these IP addesses is unlikely coming from the basic L2 connectivity.

Message 10 of 15
JustTomR
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I was wondering if IP addresses were confidential. I should have asked. I do not see a way for me to edit my post to remove the address. I'll see if there is a way to contact a moderator.

I do not fully understand what you are stating. What should I do from here? Do I need to contact my ISP regarding IP addresses?

Message 11 of 15
JustTomR
Aspirant

I talked to my ISP. The radio acts as a router.  (the radio is on the 'satelite' dish I mentioned earlier. It hands out IP addresses. He added more available IP address to my radio. If power goes out or something happens when it loses an IP address it will go to the next one.  We rebooted my switch and PC and he confirmed the connection.

He suggests that I get a router and get rid of the GS105 switch. Not something I have to do right away, but down the road it would be wise to do.

Small town family owned business.....Can't beat their customer service!!!!! Awesome people.

Thanks for the help I got on this forum.   I appreciate the information.

Message 12 of 15
schumaku
Guru

On one hand you can ask the ISP if they have an option to run a NAT router on their CPE.

On the other hand I would consider adding a NAT (probably also WiFi) router to your network. This router will get a public IP address assigned, your computer, TV, and probably mobile phone can be operated on the private [W]LAN and IP subnet then.  

Message 13 of 15
JustTomR
Aspirant

And just like that it is off again. Our conclusion is that this switch is the problem. The ISP 'sees' two connections. The PC and the TV. But the switch is not connecting to the TV. Something internal in the switch is messing with the connection. Time to get rid of it.

Message 14 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Probably - but this does (in my opinion) not provide a real solution, unless only "Internet" is all you need there instead of a single local network.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements