× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108v4 with multiple gateway address's

BudMcG
Follower

GS108v4 with multiple gateway address's

I have a home network with a dozen or so "clients", some wireless. My router, a Linksys 848, has 4 ethernet ports and 2 of my clients require a direct LAN connection to the router. Each of the other 2 LAN ports are connected to a GS108v4 unmanaged 8 port switch. My problem is that one of the GS108's supplies to the connected clients the same gateway address, 192.168.1.1, as the router but the other GS108 supplies a different, 192.168.0.1, gateway address. When I connect to my router to view my network I am unable to see the clients with the alternate gateway, 192.168.0.1. I access the network with a variety of devices including security camera systems by Arlo and Q-See. Q-See requires a direct connection to the router but Arlo connects thru the switch with the 192.168.0.1 gateway address. I also use wireless, which works always, for a notebook and cell phones. And I have a wired connection to a laser printer which is connected to the switch with the 192.168.1.1 gateway.

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108v4 with multiple gateway address's

These unmanaged GS108 switches don't supply e.g. default gateway IP addresses at all. Neither do Plus or Smart Managed Pro switches btw.

You simply can't mix two subnetworks and broadcast domains on the same flat network - that's the only problem with your network design here.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements