× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS316 Unmanaged Switch Not Providing Internet

amozza
Aspirant

GS316 Unmanaged Switch Not Providing Internet

Hello,

I have a GS316 16 port unmanaged switch feeding my home network. My ISP router connects to the switch and then the switch feeds multiple wall outlets around the house and another 5 port switch. This setup has worked almost flawlessly for over 6 years until yesterday. Now the ports that have connections to active devices (including the router) flash both LEDs green continuously, but at different rates. I cannot get an internet connection on any port.

I've tried the following troubleshooting:

• Power down switch and power on = fail
  • Connect directly to router ethernet = pass
  • Use a different cable from router to GS316 = fail
  • Try different ports for connecting router to GS316 = fail
  • Connect directly to GS316 (instead of via wall outlets) = fail
  • Connect the 5-port switch to the router = pass

This leads me to believe the switch is no longer working correctly. Are there any more troubleshooting steps I could try?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS316 Unmanaged Switch Not Providing Internet

Hello @amozza 

Perfect troubleshooting process and documentation.

These switches are coming with a three-year warranty, so after five or six ears I fear you are out of luck. But try anyway https://my.netgear.com/ - My Registered Devices - Request Hardware Support

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

the only other thing I'd check would be the power supply. I've had more power supplies fail on me than unmanaged switches. Maybe yours is putting out just enough power to light up the leds. Luckily its a pretty standard 12v/1amp power supply. You probably have one rated the same (or higher amperage) that you could try with. Just make sure the voltage is exactly the same. Amps can be higher but not lower. 

And if it doesn't work, shooties. Time for a new switch. 

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Absolute valid point - these el-cheepo power supplies - always worth to have one at hand for testing in case.

Message 4 of 6
amozza
Aspirant

Thanks. I will give that a try.

Message 5 of 6
amozza
Aspirant

I did try that route but was only offered paid support. Thanks for the idea though.,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements