× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need some help with speed dropping on ethernet

Johnny_Mo
Follower

Need some help with speed dropping on ethernet

I'm having an issue with ethernet speeds dropping.  (FIOS Gigabit / Nest WiFi Pro 3 pack, 2 Netgear switches 16 port and 8 port))

Verizon Fios Gigabit ONT runs direct to Google Nest WiFi Pro.

This connects to GS116 (I was having issues with a 3 month old 116LP - no wired connection making it to remote APs so I replaced it with the pre-existing 116Ev2)

I recently had some FIOS issues where they had to replace my ONT.

Originally they started down the path that it was my internal network so I decided ok - time to upgrade.  Replaced my mesh network with the Nest WiFi Pro and replaced my "blue" netgear GS 116 and 108 with the "grey" POE versions.

I'm getting 900/900 at the Google primary router, if I branch off direct to my laptop from there,  also 900/900.  As soon as I plug into my switch the remote laptops/gaming rig drop to 300/300 or worse.

The newer POE switch wasn't even allowing the remote APs to connect hardwired, so I threw the older 116 back and at least everything is connected now, but everything downstream of the switch seems like it is throttled to 300/300.  Post switch I have 11 of the 16 connections used,  1 feeds the 8(gigabit) port switch that covers both 1000 and 100 connections (laptop, tivo, home theater etc)  Others of the main switch feed gaming rig, xbox, laptop, printer etc.

Not really sure why everything downstream is dropping the way it is - historically I'd be 900/900 regardless of where I was plugged in throughout the house.

One note - when I got to the point of testing every single wire I did find one with a crossed twisted pair - replaced it but not sure if that could've caused any damage to the switches.  Wondering if moving to a managed switch helps.

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Need some help with speed dropping on ethernet

As the Internet is full with similar reports on the Google Nest Mesh systems since 2022 (sigh, sorry), would you mind to provide a schema of the new layout with the three Nest devices please?

Have built a wired network to connect the three Nest Mesh systems, or are these connected in a wireless Mesh?

Also curious what you designate as "remote APs", and how that suspect non-working GS116LP is connected to these Nest Mesh devices, resp. the "working" grey GS116 is connected?

Background: Nest Points appear to be picky when it comes to using wired connections (wired backhaul in Netgear Mesh terms) and can only be used wireless -> Hardwire Nest Wifi Pro, Nest Wifi, or Google Wifi with Ethernet 

The cause seems to be somewhere in the design and/or implementation of IEEE 802.11s, an amendment to 802.11. Based on some experimenting with older Netgear Managed or Smart Managed we learnt that some switches are blocking (not forwarding) these special frames.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements