× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.6.0 UPS alerts not sent

Michael_Oz
Luminary

Re: 6.6.0 UPS alerts not sent, Hard Shutdown

@ScotsDon wrote:
the problem being that it crashes out with a hard shutdown, so endangering any data and being no better than what happens when the NAS is powered off the mains and a power cut occurs.

Maybe download the logs and check what it does.

In my two recent tests, such shutdowns did not require it to resync or anything when it came back up. I assumed (hmmm) it did a clean panic shutdown, ie flushing caches etc. [he says going to look at his logs...]

Message 51 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

OK checked my logs.

When my NAS is not communicating with the UPS (my above posts) it doesn't shutdown.

When it is, briefly after I change a setting, it does, but does it properly, i.e.

Sat Nov 19 2016 10:24:54 System: ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
Sat Nov 19 2016 10:18:01 System: UPS UPS () battery is low. System will shut down soon.
Sat Nov 19 2016 10:16:29 System: UPS UPS () is on battery power.

So I suspect your problem may be different. But as someone said above, they do seem to have stuffed this area fairly well...

Message 52 of 95
ScotsDon
Guide

Maybe download the logs and check what it does.

In my two recent tests, such shutdowns did not require it to resync or anything when it came back up. I assumed (hmmm) it did a clean panic shutdown, ie flushing caches etc. [he says going to look at his logs...]

The logs shown under the System / Logs tab don't show anything.  Are there any other Logs?

Message 53 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

System/Logs Download_logs button on the left. Unzip check sysem.log (and generally look around at others). ups.log for me was almost empty.

[note I'm just another user here]

Message 54 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

...that's system.log

Message 55 of 95
StephenB
Guru

@ScotsDon wrote:

This shows it is not the NAS losing its power from the UPS, but something to do with either the UPS or NAS firmware.  

Sounds like that to me too.  Hopefully someone from Netgear (maybe @Skywalker or @kohdee) will chime in.

There is a UPS fix in 6.6.1 beta, but it doesn't sound like what you are seeing.

Message 56 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

There is a UPS fix in 6.6.1 beta, but it doesn't sound like what you are seeing.

Stephen, is that a new fix, or the one mentioned above which didn't fix my above problem?

Message 57 of 95
StephenB
Guru

@Michael_Oz wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Stephen, is that a new fix, or the one mentioned above which didn't fix my above problem?

It's the one above in (6.6.1 beta 1).  The thread is a bit confusing, since we don't know if the two UPS problems have the same root cause (or not)..

Message 58 of 95
ScotsDon
Guide

@Michael_Oz wrote:

System/Logs Download_logs button on the left. Unzip check sysem.log (and generally look around at others). ups.log for me was almost empty.

[note I'm just another user here]

Ah yes, lots and lots of logs!!  Having a quick look, it seems the NAS could, just possibly, be doing a very fast but 'graceful' shutdown, or not, as the case may be.  Only NetGear will know.  If they want me to send them any logs, I have them ready.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 59 of 95
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Did you receive similar UPS communication error messages with previous versions of the firmware?  What is the output of 'upsc UPS' from the RN316 during the error periods?

Sat Nov 19 12:39:07 EST 2016    UPS Communication error.
    Sat Nov 19 10:25:18 EST 2016    Communication with UPS OK.
Message 60 of 95
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Please send the logs to my attention using the info in the link in my sig and I'll take a look.

@ScotsDon wrote:

Ah yes, lots and lots of logs!!  Having a quick look, it seems the NAS could, just possibly, be doing a very fast but 'graceful' shutdown, or not, as the case may be.  Only NetGear will know.  If they want me to send them any logs, I have them ready.

Message 61 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

@ewok wrote:

Did you receive similar UPS communication error messages with previous versions of the firmware? 

@ewok

Pre 6.6.0 UPS was working normally.

6.6.0 has UPS problems, as documented by me above ~2016-11-14 (System/Power/UPS -> UPS_RAWSTATUS_WAIT)

6.6.1 beta 1, changed but still has a problem, as documented above ~2016-11-18 (System/Power/UPS -> Waiting for status update.)

ReadyNAS does not detect UPS on battery & does not shutdown as it should.

extracts of syslog are in the above posts showing upsc output

@> ewok wrote:

> What is the output of 'upsc UPS'

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.6.1-T200 (Beta 1)
root@ME-NAS-316A:~# upsc UPS
Error: Server disconnected

I sent logs as per @mdgm-ntgr request 2016-11-19

Note @ShoGinn has this issue as posted above, as do @bobaloca @powellandy1 @TOMA1 as posted here (re beta 1)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-6-0-RC2-UPS-problems/m-p/1145500...

Message 62 of 95
slashdotted
Aspirant

Hello,

I have (had?) the same issues (Stale data, UPS_RAWSTATUS_WAIT)  with my RN204 (firmware 6.6.0) with a CyberPower CP1550EPFCLCD UPS (usb connection)

I've changed some parameters in /etc/nut/ups.conf; in particular, following the information found in http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/ups.conf.html and http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/usbhid-ups.html,  I've added:

synchronous = yes
  pollonly = yes
  pollinterval = 10

And (at least for now) it seems to work fine

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS 204
Message 63 of 95
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

We haven't been able to reproduce the issue here, would you be willing to adjust some UPS server settings manually and see if there is any improvement? Try reducing the polling frequency by adding "pollinterval = 10" to /etc/nut/ups.conf, then running "systemctl nut-driver restart". Changing UPS settings in the UI may overwrite these settings, so try not to do that.

@Michael_Oz wrote:

Pre 6.6.0 UPS was working normally.

6.6.0 has UPS problems, as documented by me above ~2016-11-14 (System/Power/UPS -> UPS_RAWSTATUS_WAIT)

6.6.1 beta 1, changed but still has a problem, as documented above ~2016-11-18 (System/Power/UPS -> Waiting for status update.)

ReadyNAS does not detect UPS on battery & does not shutdown as it should.

extracts of syslog are in the above posts showing upsc output

@> ewok wrote:

> What is the output of 'upsc UPS'

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.6.1-T200 (Beta 1)
root@ME-NAS-316A:~# upsc UPS
Error: Server disconnected

Message 64 of 95
slashdotted
Aspirant

... uh?! can't edit my previous post...

So it seems that after a reboot /etc/nut/ups.conf gets overwritten/recreated Smiley Sad In order to maintain those configuration changes we need to create an alternate configuration file and have the nut daemon use it.

Here's what I did:

Connecting to my NAS using ssh, I edited (using vi) /lib/systemd/system/nut-driver.service to look like this:

[Unit]
Description=Network UPS Tools - power device driver controller
After=local-fs.target network.target systemd-udev-settle.service
Wants=systemd-udev-settle.service
StopWhenUnneeded=yes

[Service]
Environment="NUT_CONFPATH=/etc/nuts"
ExecStart=/sbin/upsdrvctl start
ExecStop=/sbin/upsdrvctl stop
Type=forking

(notice the line starting with Environment right after [Service]: this line changes the path containing configuration files to /etc/nuts)

Next, I created a copy of the /etc/nut directory in /etc/nuts (this way if the original ups.conf file is overwritten we won't care)

cp -r /etc/nut /etc/nuts

Next, I've modified the file /etc/nuts/ups.conf (that's the copy we made in /etc/nuts) and added these two lines (Note: in my previous post I made a mistake since pollinterval is not supported by the usbhid-ups driver):

synchronous = yes
 pollonly = yes

In my case the resulting file looks like this now:

[UPS]
  driver = usbhid-ups
  port = auto
#dashboard:  ups_model = CP1500EPFCLCD
#dashboard:  ups_mfr = CPS
#dashboard:  ups_mfr_date = 
  serial = XXXXXXXXXXXX
  vendorid = 0764
  synchronous = yes
  pollonly = yes
  productid = 0501

The documentation for the pollonly flag says that "If this flag is set, the driver will ignore interrupts it receives from the UPS (not recommended, but needed if these reports are broken on your UPS). "

For the synchronous flag, the documentation says " The driver work by default in asynchronous mode (i.e synchronous=no). This means that all data are pushed by the driver on the communication socket to upsd (Unix socket on Unix, Named pipe on Windows) without waiting for these data to be actually consumed. With some HW, such as ePDUs, that can produce a lot of data, asynchronous mode may cause some congestion, resulting in the socket to be full, and the driver to appear as not connected."

You can test the configuration by restarting the daemon with:

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart nut-driver

... and check that the daemon is running with:

systemctl status nut-driver

I hope this helps and solves your issues too (... while we wait for an official fix)

Message 65 of 95
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well as we can't reproduce this we would need remote access to a system still having problems after the fix in 6.6.1 Beta.

Message 66 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

@mdgm wrote:

Well as we can't reproduce this we would need remote access to a system still having problems after the fix in 6.6.1 Beta.

@mdgm-ntgr

I'm game.

Message 67 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

Well, to test, I did the ups.conf change to add

synchronous = yes
  pollonly = yes

Not the whole make a second copy change, I don't reboot often

It has now been over two hours without an error message.

system.log shows below, and no errors.

Dec 01 14:36:31 ME-NAS-316A usbhid-ups[9184]: Startup successful
Dec 01 14:36:33 ME-NAS-316A upsd[6853]: Connected to UPS [UPS]: usbhid-ups-UPS
Dec 01 14:36:40 ME-NAS-316A msmtpq[9199]: mail for [ -C /etc/msmtprc michael...@...com.au --timeout=60 ] : send was successful
Dec 01 14:38:32 ME-NAS-316A upsd[6853]: User monuser@192.168.1.10 logged into UPS [UPS]

The mail was the Comms OK msg.

I unplugged the UPS, it behaved as expected. Got the frontview status changes, emails and the network monitoring of the NV+ too.

So that should do until a fix gets released.

Stll happy for a remote session if someone from NG wants to look around.

Message 68 of 95
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Were both of these options needed or does it still fail when only of them are applied?  We can add this fix to the firmware, but need to know if both are required since we can't reproduce it here.

Message 69 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

I'll test today.

Message 70 of 95
slashdotted
Aspirant

Hello,

here are some intial test results:

UPS: Cyberpower CP1500EPFCLCD

WORKING CONFIGURATION

synchronous = yes
  pollonly = yes
  Tested, stable for 24h

PROBABLY WORKING CONFIGURATION

pollonly = yes
  In-progress (but seems stable)... will check again in a few hours

NON-WORKING CONFIGURATIONS

synchronous = yes
  Hangs after a while, and I periodically got the following message in the log: libusb_get_interrupt: Connection timed out

no-additional parameters (default config)
  Logs show libusb_get_interrupt: Connection timed out
  After some time 'upsc UPS' returns Data stale

Message 71 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

I'm still testing (needs to do power fail tests), but looks like I will have the same results.

I also tested pollinterval=10, seemed to work, I'll test some other numbers.

Message 72 of 95
slashdotted
Aspirant

Hello again,

for myUPS (Cyberpower CP1500EPFCLCD) the important parameter that needs to be added to ups.conf to fix this issue is pollonly = yes

In summary:

SUGGESTED WORKING CONFIGURATION
  pollonly = yes
  Tested, stable

(ALSO) WORKING CONFIGURATION
  synchronous = yes
  pollonly = yes
  Tested, stable

NON-WORKING CONFIGURATIONS
  synchronous = yes
  Hangs after a while, and I periodically got the following message in the log: libusb_get_interrupt: Connection timed out

no-additional parameters (default config)
  Logs show libusb_get_interrupt: Connection timed out
  After some time 'upsc UPS' returns Data stale

Message 73 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

UPS: Cyberpower VALUE1200ELCD

Details from ups.log:

device.mfr: CPS
device.model: Value1200E
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 5
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.productid: 0501
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.parameter.vendorid: 0764
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.data CyberPower HID 0.4
driver.version.internal: 0.41
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.load: 32
ups.mfr: CPS
ups.model: Value1200E
ups.productid: 0501

Test a. No errors for > 2 hours, b. correct behaviour when UPS unplugged.

Same, general results as @slashdotted, different errors (no timeout error):

Individually:

synchronous=yes - fail

Dec 02 16:45:22 ME-NAS-316A usbhid-ups[25161]: Startup successful
Dec 02 16:45:24 ME-NAS-316A upsd[29633]: Connected to UPS [UPS]: usbhid-ups-UPS
Dec 02 17:25:42 ME-NAS-316A upsd[29633]: Data for UPS [UPS] is stale - check driver
Dec 02 17:25:42 ME-NAS-316A upsmon[29636]: Poll UPS [UPS@localhost] failed - Data stale

pollonly=yes - pass

pollinterval=5 - pass

For me, I think pollinterval=5 would be better as pollonly=yes ignores interrupts, which are apparently working on my UPS.

However if pollonly is easier, hay it works.

Message 74 of 95
Michael_Oz
Luminary

BTW, if my reading is correct, the pollfreq=30 has the USB driver wait 30 seconds between polls, listening for interrupts, while pollinterval is the delay between upsd 'updating the status'. Thus pollinterval shorter than pollfreq/2 (ie on average) will only be benificial in upsd picking up interupts prior to the next poll.So, in the bigger picture, a few seconds doesn't matter when power fails, a higher pollinterval may be called for. It only really affects reporting of UPS status, and that is only meaningfull when it is discharging, or less so, when recharging. [question is what types of messages the UPS sends unsolicited, i.e. via interrups?]

So I can't see why a pollinterval<15 is of much use. Even a pollinterval=9, will check for changes ~3 times per poll.

pollonly=yes 'ignore interrupts it receives from the UPS', presumably does not affect pollfreq, but without interrups power notification is delayed, thus the question of whether pollfreq should perhaps be shortened? The above pollinterval considerations apply. So, for example, pollfreq=10 & pollinterval=5, or (15/5, 10/3?) should be considered, and tested.

Message 75 of 95
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements