× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.6.1 AV appears to be killing my RN314.

inspectorgadjet
Apprentice

6.6.1 AV appears to be killing my RN314.

I have an RN314 with an EDA500 connected. I recently updated to 6.6.1 and the update seemed to be alright and the NAS restarted without problems. Then I also had some work done on my house and our power was tripped, and even though the UPS was screaming, nobody shut the nas down so it was just powered off after a while.

After that, the NAS has had trouble booting. It kept getting stuck at various percentages and when it did boot, I got corrupted journal messages and then no space left on device messages. The NAS behaved a little better if I disconnected the EDA500, but it still eventually showed the the same error messages.

After one boot I noticed an error in the logs that looked like it could be disk failures, but on other forums people seeing that message suggested changing the sata cables for a drive. So I have tried replacing the esata cable to my EDA500, and I've even started an RMA process for one of the disks in the EDA500 because removing it seems to reduce the problems as well.

I don't even know how I ended up on one of the threads about the antivirus app no longer being available on 6.6.1 because of the AV changes, but it did get me thinking because I noticed the /var/lib/clamav folder and it was one of the bigger folders at over 200MB. I have now disabled the AV and suddenly no more journal corruption messages or no space left on device messages either and no other strange errors appearing when I do dmesg | tail now.

I'm not that pleased that I have to disable AV, but in order to keep the NAS running it's my only option.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Netgear development is on it.  In the meantime, I suggest that people seeing these issues should turn AV off.

douglas_cheung wrote:

Hi,

Engineering has identified a cause for the issues reported on the community.  The root cause is that ClamAV uses up the /tmp directory space when scanning files transferred over SAMBA.  The symptom is especially acute in models that have small RAM and low CPU bandwidth.

A possible fix has been identified and is being tested.

There may be other issues.  Engineering is still in the process of investigating.

NETGEAR may release a beta version of the software next week here on the community site.

Thank you for your patience,

Doug

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the same on my RN104. Without AV enabled all is fine, enabling AV leads to situation where the box is supersnailing along. Yes, that is since upgrading to 6.6.1. There seem to be some room for improvements. Thank you very much.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Netgear development is on it.  In the meantime, I suggest that people seeing these issues should turn AV off.

douglas_cheung wrote:

Hi,

Engineering has identified a cause for the issues reported on the community.  The root cause is that ClamAV uses up the /tmp directory space when scanning files transferred over SAMBA.  The symptom is especially acute in models that have small RAM and low CPU bandwidth.

A possible fix has been identified and is being tested.

There may be other issues.  Engineering is still in the process of investigating.

NETGEAR may release a beta version of the software next week here on the community site.

Thank you for your patience,

Doug

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements