× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Admin/passwords stopped working, NAS unaccesible despite Raidar seeing it.

Machforr2
Aspirant

Admin/passwords stopped working, NAS unaccesible despite Raidar seeing it.

Of course it had to happen on a monday when I need to work.  It was working fine the friday before, of course.

Raidar Sees the NAS, as it should, however trying to access it normally does not work anymore, as does trying to access the setup page from the Raidar.

Tried an OS reset and still no dice, NAS remains unaccessible yet visible.. it keeps asking for login in loop as if the login/password was wrong.

I've run out of ideas at this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Model: RNDU2000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2)|READYNAS ULTRA 2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Admin/passwords stopped working, NAS unaccesible despite Raidar seeing it.

Going to a factory fresh condition may be the route of least resistance.  But since you are doing that, you may want to consider moving to OS6, which can run (unofficially, meaning no Netgear Support) on your Ultra.  It is recommended you upgrade to 2GB of RAM if you've not already, but it's widely available and inexpensive DDR3 RAM and an easy swap.

In addition to getting a more up to date OS (though it is getting long in the tooth), you gain the ability to simply move your volume to a native OS6 unit if the Ultra finally fails on you or you just want to go with a faster/larger NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 22

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Is your Ultra2 running OS6 or still running RAIDiator 4.2.x?  If OS6, did you recently update to 6.10.5?  There is a bug that strikes some people running 6.10.5 that causes that and for which a hotfix should be automatically installed as long as the NAS has internet access.

Message 2 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

First, I apologize for the double post... ibcould not fined my original one after registering, thought it lost.

And I am 90% sure it is running Raidiator, as I did not update the firmware since 9 years ago at least.

I did manage to access the data from a win7 machine, saving the content, but I still can't get setup to work.

Thank you for reaching out, much appreciated.
Message 3 of 22
StephenB
Guru

9 years ago is a long time - 4.2.31 was released in 2017.  You should update the firmware when you regain access. https://kb.netgear.com/000038793/RAIDiator-x86-Version-4-2-31

Have you tried browsing directly to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the real IP address of the NAS)?  Is the issue that the NAS won't accept the admin login, or is it something else (like not getting to the page at all)?

If this is a windows 10 PC, you need to enable the SMB 1/CIFS client in indows to access the shares.  You do that in "turn windows features on or off".  There is a security warning that you will need to ignore.

Message 4 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

It is a long time indeed.  I'll update the thread though as I found that the my Ultra 2 model is a RNDU2220.. it does not have its original 2-2Tb disks anymore as those gave up the ghost last year. (11 years of service, if you can believe it)

@StephenB wrote:

If this is a windows 10 PC, you need to enable the SMB 1/CIFS client in indows to access the shares.  You do that in "turn windows features on or off".  There is a security warning that you will need to ignore.

My main system is a windows 10 machine where the NAS was connected and working up until yesterday, the SMB issue was addressed the moment win10 was installed 4 years ago.

@StephenB wrote:

Have you tried browsing directly to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the real IP address of the NAS)?  Is the issue that the NAS won't accept the admin login, or is it something else (like not getting to the page at all)?

I did try and enter the address directly, but I keep getting asked for credentials in a loop.  I reset the OS in an attempt to use the default 'netgear1' password thinking something got corrupted and it still did not work.

Currently the NAS is hooked up to an old win7 system with an old Raidar version. While I can't get to the setup, (due to the incorrect login loop) I can access the 'browse' menu without being asked for credentials and I'm currently saving the data.  When I tried 'browse' on my win10 system, I would get asked for login/password which, of course, did not work.

Thanks again for being thorough with your questions.. I hope I didn't miss a detail that could be the 'aha' moment.

EDIT: I just thought I'd mention that I also had the NAS address up in the Win10's 'Credential Manager'. Along with the SMB, it was critical in making it work in windows 10 originally.

Message 5 of 22
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is RAIDar telling you the NAS is running?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 6 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

Raidar is showing "4.2.17".  That's after the OS reinstall, I don't recall if an update writes itself to the backup flash or if that's the actual original shipped firmware.

Message 7 of 22
mdgm
Virtuoso

I think that firmware was released over 10 years ago.

When you update the firmware the firmware is updated on the flash and then installed onto the disks, so the firmware on your system is consistent with you never having updated it.

Message 8 of 22
StephenB
Guru

If you still can't access https://nas-ip-address/admin from any PC, then I suggest trying internet explorer as the browser.  If you click on the settings for it, you will see "compatibility view".  I'd add https://nas-ip-address to the compatibility view list in the browser.  Not sure if this is required, but I have some recollection that it helped with some old firmware.

Also, if you have any internet security software running (Kaspersky, Avast,Norton etc), or "safe browsing" extensions  then try disabling that stuff.

Message 9 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

If you still can't access https://nas-ip-address/admin from any PC, then I suggest trying internet explorer as the browser.  If you click on the settings for it, you will see "compatibility view".  I'd add https://nas-ip-address to the compatibility view list in the browser.  Not sure if this is required, but I have some recollection that it helped with some old firmware.

Also, if you have any internet security software running (Kaspersky, Avast,Norton etc), or "safe browsing" extensions  then try disabling that stuff.

I did try to use internet explorer before, however the compatibility view is something I didn't know existed and gave it a shot, along with disabling anti-virus and windows' firewalls.

While it didn't work, it opened another can of worms in that I get a certificate error pertaining to the IP address  192.168.3.2.  That is the IP I set personally before the reset, however Raidar shows 192.168.168.168 and is the only IP that brings up the login prompt (the *.3.2 IP gives a timeout)

I tried getting the certificate installed by opening IE with admin previleges, no dice.

I'll point out that I now have a backup of the NAS's data, so any action that wipes out the drives or 'may damage files' could be explored if needed.

Message 10 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

The IP assignment changing from static to DHCP is another thing an OS re-install does.  But an address of 192.168.168.168 is not normal.  Are you connected directly from the computer to the NAS, with no router in between as DHCP server?  If so, do you have your computer configured to an address of 192.168.168.x?  I think you must, but just confirm.

The certificate thing is something you can't get around iin Win10.  Just accept it and move on.  That you are getting that far is a good sign.

Message 11 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

You are correct, I'm connected directly to the NAS from my PC without a router in-between.

I also confirm that my PC's network adapter that goes to the NAS has been manually set up to an IP address 192.168.168.1.

When I tried the old IP address, I would get a timeout error without even a login prompt.

I managed to get the certificate installed with the correct address, too, however I'm still not granted access.

I'm considering a USB recovery to reinstall the Raidiator, but I'll deffer to your experience. You guys are real troopers, I really appreciate the time you're giving me 🙂

Message 12 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't think that you have a RAIDiator problem other than it being very old.  A USB recovery is not your best path unless it's also an update to the latest OS (which I don't recommend unless one of the Netgear or former Netgear folks tells you it's safe from your current version).  There was a point in the RAIDiator development that changes in browsers caused users to have to use the IE compatibility mode already discussed until a RAIDiator update came along, and you likely are at a point earlier than that.  Whether or not there were additional changes downstream that would add to your difficulty in logging on with a much newer browser than your RAIDiator version, I just don't recall.

Any chance you can try with a Windows 7 virtual machine, or even an actual old Win7 system?

You can download a legit (but time-limited) Win7 VM from Microsoft here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/ 

Message 13 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

I did try on an actual Win7 system with IE in compatibility mode.

Even with the certificates installed and the network adapter set correctly, I still get into the same login loop where the default  admin/netgear1  doesn't work.

I also tried my old login/password in case it didn't get reverted and it also didn't work.

I'll say that not having access to RAIDiator is fairly recent, as just a few months back I still had access to it.  Having changed both hard drives last year, I had to set them up.  I regularly logged in to check health and temps.

Message 14 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Machforr2 wrote:

Even with the certificates installed and the network adapter set correctly, I still get into the same login loop where the default  admin/netgear1  doesn't work.

Do you have any internet security software installed (avast, kaspersky, norton)?  If so, disable it. Also disable popup blocking in the browser

One thing you can also try is downloading and installing old version of firefox. Don't let it update.  Perhaps this version: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.0.2/

BTW, I recommend clicking through security exceptions for now, and not attempting to update certs. 

I am assuming that ssh is not enabled - is that the case?

Message 15 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

I'm currently using PandaDome and tried with it both on (as it used to work) and off, as suggested and while I did manage to try an older firefox (not quite as old as version 52) I ran into the same loop that just keeps asking for login/password despite providing what should be the correct credentials. (admin/netgear1)

For the SSH, I had to look it up, as I never had to touch this particular setting and, according to the 2018 win10 update that it came with, it's enabled by default and has been enabled for as long as it's been there.

I strangely noticed that despite having done an 'os reinstall' using the manual's directions, the NAS has kept the 'power on/power off' schedules that I has set up, which I find odd, since the IP has been reset.  Unless I'm mistaken and the OS reinstall does not affect anything other than IP and login/password.

I'll give a shot at all that on the win7 system too and see what happens.

I'm quite stumped as to what's happening.

Thanks again for the extra options, sorry it's being stubborn like that.

Message 16 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Machforr2 wrote:

I strangely noticed that despite having done an 'os reinstall' using the manual's directions, the NAS has kept the 'power on/power off' schedules that I has set up, which I find odd, since the IP has been reset.  Unless I'm mistaken and the OS reinstall does not affect anything other than IP and login/password.

The OS reinstall will

• reset the admin password back to netgear1
  • reset the network configuration to use DHCP with no bonding

Other settings should remain intact (including the power schedule).

You could try doing the OS reinstall again.

One thing you could alternatively try is to

• remove all disks (labeling by slot)
  • insert an unformatted spare disk
  • power up

That will do a fresh factory install.  If you have admin access at that point, you could upgrade the firmware to 4.2.31.  Then power down and reinstall the original disks.  When you power up again, the boot loader will upgrade the OS on the disks to 4.2.31.

Message 17 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

Allright, good news/bad news time:

Removing my disks and starting the NAS with a new, unformatted disk had the desired effect: I got access to the setup even in the latest firefox and upgraded the old firmware to the 4.2.31 version of it. I didn't dare go further, baby steps and all that.

After doing that and removing the 'donor disk' and putting back my old drives, the NAS refused access once again, going back into its old login loop.

My guess at this point is that there is some bad sector somewhere on one or both the disks and I'm tempted to unformat both and re-insert them, starting from scratch.  Worry not, all data has been backed up and accounted for.

Think this course of action would work or would you recommend installing an even newer firmware using the 'donor disk' method?

I feel we're getting there, thanks again for the amazing support so far 🙂

Message 18 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

Going to a factory fresh condition may be the route of least resistance.  But since you are doing that, you may want to consider moving to OS6, which can run (unofficially, meaning no Netgear Support) on your Ultra.  It is recommended you upgrade to 2GB of RAM if you've not already, but it's widely available and inexpensive DDR3 RAM and an easy swap.

In addition to getting a more up to date OS (though it is getting long in the tooth), you gain the ability to simply move your volume to a native OS6 unit if the Ultra finally fails on you or you just want to go with a faster/larger NAS.

Message 19 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

And it worked!

Factory reset did indeed allow me back into the setup in the end, without going through hoops with a different browser as the current Firefox version allowed me access.

I haven't installed OS6 yet, mostly due to the RAM limitation. My first cursory look through the knowledge base didn't give me any answer however as to which RAM vendors are compatible with the RNDU2220 that I have.  Is there such a list available or a forum post with one?

I do have a Corsair 8gb SoDimm lying around, due to it not being compatible with the tablet I wanted to put it in. (I realized it was not compatible after the fact, forgetting to check for a compatibility list). But that might be both too much and way overkill for the system to handle.

I'll put the previous message as the solution to my problem, however, since it did get me to access the setup for my NAS 🙂

You guys are real troopers! 🙂

Message 20 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

Any standard DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) or faster RAM SO-DIMM (laptop RAM) should work.  While the CPU should, theoretically, accept 4GB, what I've read seems to indicate it has to be in two slots, which the Ultra2 does not have.  It most definitely does not support 8GB.  I don't know if it supports low voltage RAM (PC3L), so best to avoid it.  2GB will cost on the order of $5 or $6 on eBay.

I've used mostly DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) due to availability.

Message 21 of 22
Machforr2
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

Any standard DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) or faster RAM SO-DIMM (laptop RAM) should work.  While the CPU should, theoretically, accept 4GB, what I've read seems to indicate it has to be in two slots, which the Ultra2 does not have.  It most definitely does not support 8GB.  I don't know if it supports low voltage RAM (PC3L), so best to avoid it.

Hm.. I suspected as much. Better to know now than break something trying, that's for sure.

That being said however, everything is back up and running.  Currently slowly repopulating the NAS with the backed-up files and it's definitely good to know that the drives inside didn't seem to have suffered.

All of your help was invaluable in terms of problem solving experience with this 🙂

Hopefully this will help others with a similar issue, too!

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements