× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone else getting a lot of command timeouts?

ifixidevices
Luminary

Anyone else getting a lot of command timeouts?

I've got a readynas pro 6 with a q6600 and 8GB's of ram and it seems like it's doing this on all drives and one moreso than others (however they have been increasing on all drives.)

Fri Dec 12 2014 12:27:53
Disk: Detected increasing command timeouts: [27] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST4000DM000-1F2168, S3006T89]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Fri Dec 12 2014 10:44:47
Disk: Detected increasing command timeouts: [26] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST4000DM000-1F2168, S3006T89]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu Dec 11 2014 20:49:31
Disk: Detected increasing command timeouts: [44] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST4000DM000-1F2168, Z3010KZY]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu Dec 11 2014 20:09:05
Disk: Detected increasing command timeouts: [32] on disk 6 (Internal) [ST4000DM000-1F2168, Z3004CG1]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu Dec 11 2014 19:57:59
Disk: Detected increasing command timeouts: [43] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST4000DM000-1F2168, Z3010KZY]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Prior to OS 6.1.8 I never noticed anything in the logs about command timeouts and now I get them constantly it seems. I've had the drives in the unit since the beginning. My 1st 4TB drive has a little over a year of power on time but on all 6 drives I have no pending or uncorrectable sectors and everything else SMART wise is fine, I just keep getting the command timeout issues.

Anyone else been noticing them? I know the ST4000DM000 is approved for use in the new 316/516/716 units so I doubt it's an issue with the drives.

Any help or comments would be appreciated!
Message 1 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

Re: Anyone else getting a lot of command timeouts?

Could this issue be related to having a non stock CPU or upgraded memory?

I'm just trying to sort it out because every day I get at least a few command timeouts on various drives and as far as I can tell there's nothing else wrong with the drives or the device....

No bad sectors, no pending sectors, no reallocated sectors. One drive has almost 10,000 power on hours with no issues but command timeout issues. I haven't seen any performance issues with the device because of these command timeouts and I'm not sure if at a certain threshold the drive will smart error itself out marking it as a bad drive (something I'd prefer to avoid.)

So I'm just curious... any help would be very much appreciated.

These drives run 24/7 all year long and are usually being accessed one way or another all day every day (constant data flow of at least 20mbps outbound on the internet side and burst rates of 1gbps on the lan side throughout the day... A lot of random time machine backups are made and then discarded once work has been done or a period of time has passed... so the drives get a lot of use but I never have had any issues besides the command timeouts.

Thanks!
Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Could be a hardware issue. I guess it could be related to your hardware modifications.

Can you run long/extended tests on the drives using SeaTools?

What version of RAIDiator are you running?
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If the drive is receiving a malformed command from the CPU then it could possibly result in a timeout. If that is happening then there could well be data corruption as well (and other incorrect commands might actually be legal, and tell the drives to do the wrong thing).

Are you getting these on all the drives?
Message 4 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

Yep... all of the drives but not all at the same time. Completely random as to when I'll get one. The unit is on 24/7 and I upgraded the CPU and Memory because I was running crashplan on it but I'm not doing that anymore so maybe I should put it back to what it had when I bought it and see if it still happens. So far I haven't noticed any data corruption.
Message 5 of 9
dsm1212
Apprentice

I would try running for a while with the stock memory. These dimms don't have ECC.
Message 6 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

I'm going back to the 4GB's of kingston memory that was in the unit when I bought it and I put the OEM CPU back into it... hoping they stop and then I know what's the issue.
Message 7 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

If I had to bet I'm guessing it was the CPU... I know other people were commenting on their machines throwing voltage issues with the q6600 so perhaps that was the main issue and not the memory. I'll probably throw the 8GB's of memory back in at some point and see what happens.

So far no command timeouts since the switchover, although now I'm getting UPS communication errors but those seem to sort themselves out after a little while.
Message 8 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

Still no timeout errors... I'm guessing it had to do with the voltage issues I see other people reporting on the Q6600 when running OS 4

Since switching back to the original processor and original 4GB's of memory I haven't had any issues. I'm going to get an E7600 processor that has the same power consumption as the E2160 and throw the 8GB memory back in.

Should be the winning ticket!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements